// 18 //

Same Soul - PVRIS
Aawake At Night - Half Alive

I'm going to enjoy breaking you.

His voice echoes through my head, leaving me absolutely speechless. Thoughtless. Emotionless. I didn't know which was the worse; the fact that I felt nothing when he says this or the fact I couldn't say anything back. What can I say back? The only proper thing for me to say was nothing and to let him stroke my cheek longingly. Jase acted like I wasn't in front of him at all; like I was still galaxies away and he was seeing me through a television screen.

The sound of a horrific hiss tears his eyes from me and he leaps from his crouched spot and goes over to the stove. He removes the lid from the pot and cuts the stove off, sighing heavily.

"Let's turn this off, my love. Gave us both a scare, though, don't you agree?" He casts his uncomfortably serene look over me and I nod. I was half thankful for the pot and half cursing it for ruining a sweet moment. It was the first time he had been 'sweet' since the thunder incident. I was beginning to admit to myself that he wasn't as bad as I presumed. I mean, he was in love with me, right? Surely, he wouldn't kill me? I look down at my leg and try to move it to the side, pain erupting up my side. My belief in love was becoming obscured.

"Why don't we move you from this spot, hm? You must be uncomfortable, right?" I nod and he crosses his arms against the Alaska shirt. He seemed to be on the verge of annoyed, but not quite there yet. I didn't even know how he could be, all he asked me to do was listen to him. I answered him, wasn't that enough?

"Use your words, we just went over this. I know those plump little lips can create noise."

"Yes." I felt the bone in protruding from my leg against the thin layer of gauze.

"Yes, what? Yes that you're uncomfortable? Yes that you want to be moved?" Jase starts to walk over to me and stops in front of my feet, staring down at me with narrow eyes and thin lips.

"Yes. . . I want to be moved, I'm uncomfortable," I say like it was obvious. Jase uncrosses his arms and a small smile spreads across the once thin lips.

"Perfect. Now, try not the scream. I do hate when you scream when I don't mean to hurt you."

//

I stare down at the broken leg under the water. Red had now soaked the once clear and soapy water and I was basically lying in my own blood. I could smell the faint metallic scent sticking to my own skin. I couldn't see the scratches and the bone from under the bubbles, but I could feel the stinging the soap left on my open wounds.

My arms still had little marks from the glass and purple bruises from events I could no longer remember happening. Was running through the forest a dream? It felt like a bad dream. Did Jase try to shoot me? Just a nightmare that I woke up from. I felt like I have always been in this house with Jase. I was starting to forget about all the plans I made with Mare and Kane after they finished college and came out to live in the house with me. They were just distant memories and I was a sailboat in my own mind.