Chapter 43

3rd P. O. V.

They were screwed.

Must it all come down to this?

Killing Giants, combining the Greek and Roman Camps, even falling into Tartarus, being betrayed, fighting to the end.....

Must it end now?

Haze had always believed that, perhaps, he would have had a chance......after all his mother had named him after one of the few Greek heroes who got a happy ending...

Haze, the demigods, and the hunters stood side by side, fighting off the endless horde of monsters. Stabbing, slashing, blocking, helping each other out......they were unstoppable.

Soon though, monsters were killing all the demigods stuck under the earth, the tide was turning against the demigods' favor.

Haze managed to save a bunch of demigods and hunters, but still he desperately looked for a way to win.

"Fools! You cannot stand against the might of the Deep!" Tartarus bellowed.

Earth tendrils snaked through the air, Percy and Annabeth once again fought side by side like they use to do, severing the tendrils.

Annabeth gritted her teeth. "We will get through this, Percy!" she said beside him.

Haze looked at her sadly, he knew they stood no chance. He cursed the Fates for their cruelness.

"On the count of three, catch!" Percy yelled to the group of demigods.

People was confused briefly, then they realized what Percy was about to do.

"Percy, don't!"

"I have to."

Thalia and the others knew it was pointless to argue.

Annabeth suddenly stiffened, her entire body was controlled suddenly like in those Star Wars movies. She twisted her body to see Haze fighting off the earth tendrils, one hand extended towards her.

"Per-cy, what the heck?" was all she managed.

Haze looked at her, and she saw determination in his fiery eyes.

" I forgive you all." He said.

Percy smiled, then suddenly jerked his hand forward. Annabeth flew through the air, landing in the safety of Grover's outstrecthed hands.

Percy turned to face the primordial.

"You have lost!" He cried gleefully, "Puny demigod, give up!"

Percy pointed Riptide at the giant figure.

Tartarus smirked, an earthern scythe forming in her hand.

"Die!" He slammed the scythe down, and Haze rolled out of the way. He shot up, slashing upwards but Tartarus blocked the strike.

Tartarus laughed, sending two tendrils to distract Haze.

As Haze destroyed the tendrils Tartarus lunged forward with his scythe, Haze managed to block but the blunt end of the scythe caught him in the stomach. He was violently thrown backwards.

The demigods watched the scene unfold with growing horror, as Haze took on a Primodial one-on-one.

They wanted to rush out to him, but they had their own monsters to fight, such as cyclopes, dragons, harpies, hellhounds

Tartarus strode towards Haze, saying, "Time to die, son of the sea brat and that witch Sally Jackson."

Percy looked up, murderous fire gleaming in his eyes.

Haze roared, lunging at Tartarus with a flurry of strikes, forcing Tartarus on the defensive. Tartarus growled, "I will kill you painfully!"

"How many people said that to me? If you want to kill me take a number first, Tartarusauce ." Haze retorted as their weapons locked.

Tartarus snarled in frustration at the demigod putting up such great resistance in front of him. He struck but Haze parried, and water sprouted underneath him, propelling him onto Tartarus's head.

"Die! Die! Die!" Tartarus screamed, waving his scythe above his head to get rid of the pesky demigod. He threw the son of Poseidon off him, but not before Haze stabbed Riptide into his forehead.

It would have been an otherwise fatal blow, but as Percy picked up his sword he realized Tartarus was dead.

Tartarus laughed one finally time at Haze before he composted into dust.

One tiny move and Haze realized that Tartarus had managed to plunge the scythe into Haze's stomach.

His hands stung like he'd been pricked by dozens of nettles, his head spun like he was in a tornado, but the worst was the voices.

Loads of little voices whispered harsh words that made his chest ache.
You've doomed them all.
You're a monster.
They would live better without you.

Over and over again they whispered these words, he started believing them.

His will power was draining out of him along with the blood. He could feel it soaking his t-shirt, staining it red.

Red.

He'd always hated the color.

At first he thought it was a son of Poseidon thing, he loved blue and therefore hated red. But it wasn't it was a 'percy' thing.

Red is danger, it's the color of the fire he saw in Mt. Helens, the color of blood,but the thing he hated most about it was that red was the color of stop.

Traffic lights, signs , off buttons it didn't matter they were all red. It was the color of giving up. And Haze hated it.

He shifted his weight again, trying desperately to relieve some of the tension in his fingers.

"Help" he pleaded, to who ever could hear.

The last ounce of fight drained out of him and his eyes half closed. He looked to the sky, he could see the stars again.

He smiled a sad smile.

Soon though, the  pain that once burned like fire had faded away to an icy numbness.

Black filled the edges of his vision and the only thing he could hear was his own heartbeat.

His breath came in ragged, shallow gasps. Seconds passed as he laid there, then, he heard voices.

People swarmed all over him, trying to help him.

They wanted to save him.

If he could have, he would of laughed.

Surely they could tell that it was far to late for him to be saved, yet they were like children, naive to the darkness of the real world.

The despair and suffering of the world that took everyone and everything he ever loved away from him.

He would be joining them soon though. He would be able to leave all the pain behind.

He closed his eyes, he could die happily now.

The only sound that could last be heard was his fragile, human heart beat one last time.

This made me sad.

Which character do you think will feel the worst?

I honestly think it's Annabeth, she still never got to apologize.

Don't leave yet there's still another chapter ;)

Till next time.