twenty-two: didn't ask for a heartbeat

Namjoon was a little disappointed Jimin wouldn't be going to the party, but it wasn't enough to change his mind.

Unlike Jimin, he did rather enjoy parties. And Hoseok and Seokjin and his friends sounded like fun people, and Namjoon had nothing better to do on a Christmas Eve night.

That being said, after receiving the address and time of Jin's party, Namjoon showed up at the door at 7 p.m. with a bottle of soda.

Hoseok was the one who answered.

"Well, look who it is."

"It's me," Namjoon chimed, holding up the soda. "Didn't know if I was supposed to bring anything so I just did."

"How generous of you. Would you care to come inside?"

"Don't mind if I do."

Hoseok accepted the bottle of Coca Cola from Namjoon, then stepped back to let him inside.

Upon entrance, Namjoon found that only a couple other people were here, and the party host, currently still decorating, was teetering on the edge of a metal, foldable chair whilst trying to attach streamers to the walls. Amused, he stood by and watched the boy's struggle.

"I can feel your beady eyes on me, Jackson, and I don't appreciate it."

"I'm not Jackson, though."

Alarmed by the voice, Seokjin spun his head around, recklessly turning his torso as well and as a result nearly slipped off the chair. Namjoon held it steady.

Breathless, Jin scoffed. "I almost forgot I invited you."

The other boy smiled softly. "Do I look like the type of guy to back down from a challenge? You swore I'd lose in Uno or something. I gotta prove myself."

Jin rolled his eyes and went back to fixing the party streamers. "Yeah, okay. You've got your friend's tough-guy attitude, I see. Or, formerly tough-guy attitude, I should say."

"Mm....do you need help?"

"Absolutely not."

"If you say so."

Shrugging off the rejection, Namjoon decided to boldly approach one of the other people here and introduce himself. One boy was sitting on the living room couch, his feet up on the sofa and relaxing as though he lived here. Chocolate brown hair, an ugly Christmas sweater, shorts, and bare feet...

"Wild guess, are you Jackson?"

The boy lifted his eyes eagerly upon hearing his name. "The one and only!" He beamed. "I don't know you, though, sorry."

"Namjoon." He held out his hand and Jackson happily shook it, which pleased him. "It's nice to meet you."

"You're Jin's friend?"

"Well, can't really say that," he replied with a quiet laugh. "I don't know him that well yet. But he seems cool."

"He is," Jackson said with a nod. "A really swell guy. I look forward to Christmas Eve 'cus of him now. He's so much fun! And Hoseok, too. But Jin's laugh is the best, I'm tellin' ya."

"I'm sure it is."

"Ever play Uno before?"

"A few times."

"Oh, well you've never played Uno like Jin's Uno."

"So I've heard."

"Hoseok made him put on lipstick and kiss the carpet last year!"

Hearing the brief story a second time didn't make it any less funny. "So I've heard."

It really did sound like a fun time. Namjoon was glad he decided to come here. After ending the conversation at a comfortable place, he made his way over to the other boy here who was currently talking with Hoseok.