𝐗𝐗𝐈𝐈𝐈. THE PROPHECY

CHAPTER TWENTY-THREETHE PROPHECY

THE PROPHECY

§ § §

I didn't stop in the hallway again until I met with Harry, Ron, and Hermione. They could tell my mood wasn't a good one.

"What happened?" Harry raises his eyebrows.

I shake my head. "Nothing. Can we just go, please?" I sigh. Harry nods, and the rest of the walk down to Hagrid's is silent.

He wasn't in his hut, which surprised us. We continued farther along until we got to the lake, which is where we found Hagrid standing.

He was wearing a gigantic, brown, hairy suit, a really not so appealing orange and yellow tie, standing knee-deep in the lake. Which was about as deep as the length of my full legs. He was skipping stones across the surface of the water, and when he turned toward us I saw tears brimming in his eyes.

I looked around, understanding why Hagrid came here while he was upset. It's a peaceful place... I'll keep it in mind.

Hermione and I share a worried glance. "How'd the trial go?" She asks cautiously.

"Buckbeak liked London." Hagrid says, ignoring the question.

"She meant the hearing." I say. Of course I felt bad for whatever had happened, but my mood was so sour I was ready to snap at anything.

"Oh. That." Hagrid sniffles. "Well, I got up an' said my bit- you know, how Buckbeak was a good hippogriff, an' if you respected him, he'd do the same fer you." Hagrid sighs. "Then Lucius Malfoy got up and' said his bit- you know, how Buckbeak was a dangerous, deadly, beast that no teacher in their righ' mind would expose their students to..." 

I dreaded what was coming next. "What happened after that?" I asked carefully.

Hagrid skipped another rock.

"Don't blame yourself, Hagrid," Harry tells him.

"Draco," Ron growled. "It's him the Committee should punish. It's him they should send off to the forest, not Buckbeak."

He can take Parkinson with him. A voice spoke up in my head.

"Buckbeak's not going back ter the forest." Hagrid said quietly.

"Where's he going, Hagrid?" Hermione asks gently.

"He asked fer the worse, he did, that Lucius Malfoy. An' the Committee granted it." Hagrid teared up some more, his voice wavering. "Buckbeak's been sentenced to death!" He skipped a rock.

A silence fell over us, until I had an idea.

"The prat will listen to me! I could ask Draco, maybe we could get another hearing! And- and..." I looked at the other three students, "well, we can come with you! We can come as witnesses, and prove that Buckbeak means no harm. We were all there-"