Epilogue

6 MONTHS LATER...

It's been rough. Cops still won't stop calling me. I must have been interviewed over 100 times. I know how the law works, I've seen all the shows and movies. It's no different really. They ask you the same questions over an over again until you trip up and give them what they want.

I didn't have anything to hide, except for her. I wouldn't tell them a thing about her. Just that I was saved by someone. That the son of bitch dragged me to that warehouse with evil intentions. A struggle ensued, he jabbed a knife into my stomach and then she came.

My hero. My Daredevil.

Luckily Pete's restraining order and creepy stalker habits seemed to fit right into the storyline, so they bought it. The news about it just started to die down. They were convinced they found the one responsible for the mysterious killings that have been springing up around the city over the last year. Apparently, A.J. was on their radar for a while.

It was a blessing in disguise really. Funny how things work out that way.

I sit in the coffee shop and stir my drink lazily, staring out the window. Life was back to normal now. A nurse by day, amateur drummer by night. I fell right back into the routine of my life without much fallout.

Oscar takes a seat next to me. Something about that night created a bond between us. He never left, the entire time I was in the hospital. I must have been in there for a week or more. Nothing made him go, not even the constant barrage of cops coming in to bother us. We weren't dating really, but not a day's gone by where we haven't at least seen each other. I'm not ready to move on from her. Oscar, I think deep down, he saw A.J. as more than a friend. I doubt he would ever admit it, he really didn't have to, but there was something missing, inside both of us. We both felt it and maybe that's why we had to stick together.

He was lucky he was so in the dark about what really happened. I don't think he could handle the truth of it all.

"Grabbed the last one." He places a muffin down in front of me. It was my favorite flavor, orange juice.

My phone starts to vibrate in my bag sitting on the counter. I pull it out and see the number come up unknown. I never answer these calls, but something tells me to press accept, so I do.

"Hello?"

I can hear someone breathing, but nothing. At this point I would have hung up by now, but  I wait. 

Finally, a voice."Hey."

My heart stops.

"It's good to hear your voice." A.J. sounds deadpan but alive. Thank God she's alive.

My words stick to the inside of my mouth. I never thought I would hear her voice again. Oscar seems to notice my reaction. He doesn't say anything but puts his hand on my arm.

I lick my lips to desperately get the words out. "Where are you?"

"You know I can't tell you that."

"Are you safe?"

She doesn't say anything for what felt like an eternity. "I'm all right."

"When are you coming back?" I know this was the stupidest question to ask, but I had to know if it was possible. Holding on to the notion of being able to see her again was selfish. It was dangerous for everyone. The truth was buried, there was no reason to dig it up and draw unwanted attention back to the situation.

"I don't know."

Quieter words are left unspoken. I didn't know what else to say, but I didn't want her to go.

Movement or wind muffles the speaker on A.J.'s end. "Can you do me a favor?"

"Yeah. Anything."

"Tell my mom I'm okay."

"Of course."

"Thanks. Tell Oscar too, if you still see him."

"I will." I knew this would be over soon. This might be the last time for a while or even the final time. I would make it count.

Another disruption sends spotty reception through my earpiece. Her voice comes through again. "Take care of yourself."

I didn't want to hear the final click before letting her know something I have been holding on to for the last 6 months. "I love you."

She didn't answer right away but I could sense she was glad to hear those words, no matter how unnatural it might feel.

"I know."

The phone disconnects. She was gone. I lower my hand, dropping my phone to the counter.

"Everything cool, Evee?" Oscar looks at me with a dreaded concern. His eyes are sullen, he knew it was A.J. I didn't have to mention her name for him to know.

I close my eyes and take a deep breath. "Yeah."

"She doing okay?"

I nod my head and open my eyes to him. "She's safe."

I take a steady sip of my coffee. This would be fine for now, it's how it has to be. I just had to live my life as normal and be okay for her, if not for myself. My shoulder tingles from where she first struck that night she came for me.

The wound may have healed but the scar would always remain. A.J. left her mark on me forever. I was glad that I got the chance to save her. It wasn't the way I wanted to but fate never deals you a clean hand. It manifests in ways you would never expect and leaves you with questions that have no answers.

I can wear a mask to keep a secret. I would live with the truth hidden from sight to protect someone most would not even think of protecting.

Could you?