five

saturday morning came around, me still in a daze since brendon left. we filled out the form for the paternity test, and the kit is now available to be picked up two towns over.

i woke up to a text from brendon, yawning and unlocking my phone. my screensaver made me smile, a photo of cali with a wide grin as she stood outside the rock n roll hall of fame.

brendon urie:
hey, the kit is available. it's 2 hours away, i'm gonna make the drive today

me:
brendon, i can go. please don't worry about it.

brendon urie:
already on my way to go get it, doll. sorry! :)

i started at the text. doll. he didn't mean anything by it, that's what i told myself. i got up, and upon hearing me walk down the hall cali ran out of her room. "cartooooons!" she screamed excitedly, hurrying to sit in front of the tv and watch sponge bob.

laughing at her eagerness, i made her a bowl of cereal and set it on the table for her. "so today you said i can go to emilia's house, right?" she asked excitedly. "oh, that play dates today?" i asked, taking out my phone. emilia's mom was a nice lady, so i didn't mind that she was the mother of my kid's best friend. although, her mom was in her early 40's and i was in my mid twenties we got along.

"yes" she said, standing up and placing her bowl in the sink. she could barely reach but she always wanted to help me out. she drummed her finger tips on the counter top. why did she always do that? i didn't give her that habit.

"alright, well go clean your room and i'll get you something to wear" she scurried off and i went to her closet. i got her pink jeans, her white low converse, and a white shirt with a pink heart on it. she loved headbands, so a pink headband completed the outfit.

i handed her the outfit and she put it on, running out to the living room. "i'm ready to go!" she said, smiling and doing a twirl. after fixing her hair (which looked insane), i began to drive her to her play date.

when we got there, her and emilia ran off and left me and roslyn (emilia's mother) alone. "how's the situation, hun?" she asked, a sympathetic look on her face. "okay i guess" i shrugged. "paternity test today" i said, roslyn pulling me into a hug. "if you need her to sleep over, i completely understand. i think you should take a night to yourself." roslyn said.

i nodded, "thank you" i said, hugging her again. "can i get her tomorrow morning?" i asked, roslyn nodding. i said my final goodbyes, cali ecstatic that she was having a sleepover.

i drove home, and all i could think about was brendon. his face, mainly. what would happen if he was her father? how would i tell cali? i shook the thought away, pulling into my apartment complex and running into my apartment to beat the cold. when i got in i realized cali had been coloring and drawing, the mess speaking for itself.

i rolled my eyes, beginning to clean up my daughters mess. i picked up a piece of paper, examining her drawing. it was two stick figures, a boy and a girl. they were holding hands, a big red shirt like the one on cali's shirt in between them. the paper read, "mommy and mr. urie"

i found myself staring at the paper. why was she so drawn to him? i shook the thought aside, putting the drawing in her binder of drawings i kept for her.

cali also had a very special gift from none other than our family friend, pete wentz. it was a bubblegum pink electric guitar that was given to her on her fifth birthday. pete was her godfather, eve being her godmother. i picked it up, placing it on its stand in the middle of the living room.

as i was doing that, i heard a doorbell ring. i walked over, and when i peeked in it was none other than brendon urie, paternity test in hand.