44: I Don't Always Need to be in Control

Toni wanted to give Adi a makeover, and she really meant it. They went through what seemed like a hundred stores, with Adi darting in and out of the fitting rooms so that she could see what Toni envisioned her in. Some of the places were fancy designer names that even Adi had heard of, while others were obscure places specialising in gothic or retro fashions. It seemed like Toni didn't have a style in mind, but a whole album of images she wanted to create.

It was almost like being a child again, going shopping with Mom picking out different clothes for her to try, and then dithering indecisively and asking her to do a twirl in each of two identical dresses a dozen times while she made her mind up. Toni was smarter than that, though. She had a good eye, and she could judge what Adi would look like in some outfit without seeing it. The fitting rooms were a formality, because almost everything Toni picked was a perfect size, and everything looked just like she'd expected it to when Adi put it on.

"I think I don't need to try everything on," Adi said eventually. "You know what you're doing, you know it'll be right. And as long as it fits me and, you know, covers up all the bits, I don't really care about clothes."

"If you're sure?"

"Yeah. I think it'd be good to get this done quickly. How many of those outfits have we actually bought?"

"Not all of them. I just like being able to dress you up. It's like the artist's pride when he looks at a finished painting, you know? A really beautiful painting."

"Stop it," Adi blushed, but she was still flattered by the compliments. Toni wouldn't keep saying those things unless she thought they were true, and she was probably the only person who did. "You just like having me do what you tell me. Don't you?"

"Maybe a little. And you enjoy it too, maybe?"

"You think?"

"I know. I can see you smiling. Your eyes sparkle even when you pout like that. You've spent months now always thinking about the things you have to do, and the things you're having trouble with, and trying to fit in your study schedule. But now, for a couple of hours, you don't need to make a single decision. Your life is on rails, and you know the best result comes from doing what I say. All the pressure goes away, because you don't need to make choices. Am I right?"

"Maybe a little."

"More like I hit the nail on the head. You were nodding while I was talking, you know?"

"Okay, yeah. You read me, it's kind of nice to get a break from always having to be the responsible one, having to plan every little thing."

"Okay! I think our next stop is Sheer. Should be able to pick up the finishing touches for your smart interview outfit there. I can't wait to see what you think when all the parts are together."

"Wait," Adi hurried after Toni as she strode off with the latest couple of bags on her arms. "Bathroom break first? It feels like we've been walking around for hours."

"Two more shops, okay? Then we're by the Onix Square entrance, we can grab some snacks and take the weight off our feet awhile."

"I can live with that. Thanks, Toni. I can always rely on you."