Chapter 13

"How did you do it?" Greg asked with a serious tone as he looked at me.

"Do what?"

Greg hesitated and tore his gaze away from mine, trying to hide his face. "How did you get through the hard times?"

I sighed, not wanting to spill my guts to this poor unsuspecting child, but I had a feeling he needed to hear my story. "I didn't deal with it in a healthy way... I still don't, but I can tell you that it would've been easier if I had let people help me at the start. Now that I'm this far gone I don't know if can..." I grit my teeth and closed my eyes hard against the anxiety growing in my chest. "I don't know if I can ever get out of my old habits. The best way to deal with it is to talk about it and not keep it all bottled up. Whatever you're feeling, don't take it out on yourself if you know what I mean."

Okay, that wasn't so bad, I thought. I hinted at cutting but I don't know if I could ever say it outright.

"You mean, you cut yourself?"

I was shocked that he actually caught on, half of me hoped he wouldn't. "Yeah, I do." I nervously rubbed at my neck and looked over at him, trying to catch a glimpse of his face.

Greg's eyes were glazed over and he looked as if he was somewhere else entirely in his mind."It's pretty late, I should probably get back," Greg muttered as he started to push himself off of the snow laden ground. He turned and started walking away from me.

"Wait, I'm sorry did I say something wrong?" I asked desperately not wanting to lose my new friend.

He stopped in his tracks and looked down at the ice on top of the river. "No, it was nothing. I'll be back here tomorrow night if you want to meet up again. See ya," he said flatly.

Once I could no longer see him I turned around to leave. It's about time I went back to the North Pole and saw Pitch. As much as I don't want to admit, I need his powers on this one.

I flew into North's factory through an open window and spotted Phil building a tower of colorful toys. "Hey, Phil, where's Pitch?"

Phil jumped at my voice and bumped into the table that held his masterpiece, nearly knocking it over. He managed to get it stable again and breathed a sigh of relief. As he turned to me he flung his left arm out to point me in the right direction, but hit the toys and made them tumble to the ground in the process. He threw his head back with a groan and smacked his face on the table.

I chuckled and said, "Thanks."

Somethings never change, I'm thankful for that.

I found Pitch sitting in a corner by himself meditating, or at least that's what I think he was doing.

"Pitch?" I said feeling a sudden rush of nerves. "Can I talk to you?"

He opened his previously closed eyes to meet mine. "What's wrong?"

"What? Nothing, I'm fine. It's just that I met this kid named Greg and I was wondering if you could..." I swallowed hard against the words that were about to come out of my mouth. "If you could help me."

Without saying a word, Pitch stood up and stepped toward me. Every step closer he took, I took another one back. We kept up this dance until my back was at a wall. Slowly and gently, Pitch's right hand rose to my forehead and the other to my chest. There was nothing malicious about his movements and nothing about him told me I should be scared, but I still was.

"What are you-" I was cut off by a sudden rush of information, memories, and experiences all from Greg's past. It felt as if it lasted years but only a few moments had passed.

I knew more about Greg now than I was supposed to and more than I wanted to. It was a total invasion of privacy to have this much knowledge of someone's life, yet I couldn't find it in myself to be angry. There wasn't any room for anger, only an intense sadness filled me.

One single tear rolled down my cheek for him; I wouldn't allow myself to pity Greg because I knew how terrible it could make you feel.

"Why... Why did you show me all that?"

"You need to know what the problem is in order to help someone."

My mind was starting to race and I couldn't keep track of my thoughts.

I thought that I could do this but now I'm starting to see that this is different than anything I've dealt with before.

"It's okay, I can help you figure this out."

I hate that he always knows what I'm thinking. Get the hell out of my head.

"You know I can't do that," said Pitch.

"What, there's no off switch? It's kind of none of your business what I'm thinking."

"Actually Jack, it's my job to know what you're thinking. I need to know so I can help you."

"Yeah well, maybe I don't want your help!" I didn't realize I had yelled until it was too late.

It felt like anything that had eyes, had them on me. My cheeks were starting to turn a deep red and I couldn't bear to be around anyone at the moment.

I ran for at least two minutes, getting myself lost in the labyrinth of North's palace. I rounded a corner and leaned up against a wall to catch my breath.

"Well way to go, Jack, you went and shit all over that situation," I said mockingly to myself.My mind had been a pretty optimistic place since I got my memories back but now that I was failing at my only purpose, I couldn't help but feel like crap.

I just wanted these feelings to go away but there was only one way for me to accomplish that. I didn't even bother to take my time, I just knew that I wanted myself to bleed and I wanted it as soon as possible. I dragged a sharp icicle across my wrist three times and was going for a fourth when I heard footsteps.

I quickly hid the icicle in a nearby plant and pulled my sleeve down on my still bleeding arm just as Bunny came around the corner.

"Hey Mate, where have you been?"

"Oh um you know just here and there, threw a few snowballs, the usual."

I have to say that was the most awkward sentence I've ever composed in my lifetime.

"Yeah... Sure well North wanted to talk to you for a minute."

I opened my mouth to protest seeing as how my arm was about to bleed through my hoodie and everyone would know my secret, but I never got the chance.

"I actually really need Jack for a minute if you don't mind Bunny."

I turned to see Pitch coming from the other side of the hall with a calm look on his face.

"Alright, I'll tell Mr. Jolly that he'll have to wait then." Said Bunny as he retreated back the way he came.

I slid my back down against the wall until I was on the floor. My head practically fell into my hands as I suddenly felt a wave of exhaustion.

There was an awkward silence that followed Bunnie's fading footsteps. Pitch broke the silence that probably would've lasted forever had it been up to me.

"Are you glad that I can hear your thoughts now Mr. Frost?"

"Haha very funny, leave me alone," I said with a lackluster tone. I didn't actually want to be alone which I knew he already knew.

He sighed and reached his hand out for me to grab when I found the strength to look up again.

"Come on, let's go get you cleaned up."