|| THIRTY-TWO ||

A couple of days before they were due to go back to school, it was time for Lauryn to have a second ultrasound. Lauryn and Sweet Pea decided to keep the gender of their baby a secret so they could have a surprise when it was born, after a long discussion ending in a lot of laughter.

They held hands in the hospital waiting room anxiously, neither of them wearing their Serpent jackets in case they got a sour look off of someone. Ultrasounds were super cool to them, but Lauryn was biting her nails nervously and she didn't know why.

A doctor came into the waiting room to call them, and her face went pale as she read Lauryn's name. It wasn't their usual doctor. Lauryn looked up, and her stomach tied up into a knot. 

She looks like... no, it can't be.

They followed her through the hall into an office, and Lauryn sat down before lifting her shirt. The doctor remained quiet and concentrated, and Sweet Pea frowned at the lack of communication. Even Lauryn wasn't saying too much.

"The baby seems to be doing well," Doctor Miller finally said, and her voice made Lauryn shake. She was so familiar. "You've taken excellent care of yourself since the last incident. How has the hyperemesis been?"

"Better, uh," Lauryn stammered, basically forgetting the entire English language. "Not as bad as it was."

"Good," Doctor Miller replied. "If it persisted in the way it was, you may have been hospitalised."

"Well, thank God for that," Lauryn muttered.

Doctor Miller swivelled out from behind the computer she was sat at, and Lauryn finally saw her face, which basically sent her into shock. It was her. "Would you like to know the gender?"

Lauryn couldn't rasp a single syllable, but Sweet Pea swept in to her rescue, kissing her hand. "No, we want it to be a surprise."

"Ah, just like my daughter was."

A sharp flashback struck Lauryn's mind and she got the final piece of confirmation she needed. "Mom?"

Katherine nodded, relieved that her daughter recognised her. "Yes, Lauryn, it's me."

Sweet Pea's eyes widened as he sat right in the middle of the strange, unexpected reunion. "Wait... what?"

Lauryn studied the woman in front of her, and then remembered how cold she'd made her childish. "Why... why did you leave? And why were you so cruel to Fangs? What--"

"Let's talk when I finish my shift," Katherine insisted, lowering her voice. "I should be another hour or so."

"Or in another nine years." Lauryn scoffed, crossing her arms.

"Now, that's not fair. We both have a lot to catch up on," Katherine glanced at the ultrasound machinery. "Maybe you more than I."

"Fine," Lauryn sighed. "Pop's. Don't be late, because I'm not going to wait around."

"Okay."

--------

"Are you sure you don't want me to come in with you?" Sweet Pea offered as Angel Face was getting off of his bike, using his shoulder for support. "I don't know about this."

"Baby, I'll be fine," she reassured. "She's my mom, I don't think she's going to bite. I won't take any shit this time."

"Okay, if you're sure, Angel Face," he said, kissing her on the cheek. "Call me if you need me, okay?"

She watched him drive off with a small smile, but once she looked at Pop's, the nervousness took over. She was about to confront her mother after 9 years. She'd finally get some answers, but now it had come down to truly getting them, she wasn't sure she actually wanted them.