Chapter 4

***

***

"WHAT'S GOING on?" I was the last one to enter since I was a watcher last night. Now, it made me scowl upon seeing the familiar faces at Gael's office, and something didn't add up.

"Morning, Colt." Cora greeted.

"Morning." I gestured to everyone to start telling me, and my scowl deepened when I couldn't find Iris.

Darick shrugged. "No idea, man."

I leaned against the wall since the chairs were already occupied by Cora and Lois, and a moment later, Gael entered with a steaming cup of coffee on his hand.

"What did I miss?" I asked.

"Wait for your turn," Gael briefly said and sat on his chair.

It frustrated me that suddenly I became invisible around him, and as far as I knew, I hadn't failed the duty he gave me. Right now, I questioned myself if he still needed my service, or I had to pack my things and move out.

"Let's start with you, Darick." Gael eyed him. There was something different about the way he asked.

"Um, okay. Look, um, we didn't talk much, Gael." He looked at me, then back to Gael. "She told me her name and said she just arrived a few days ago. She seemed kind though. She looked harmless and genuinely concerned that I was hurt," Darick explained.

So, this was all about Iris. And here I thought he let that woman stay because his conscience would keep him stay awake at night while Iris was out there alone, fighting for her survival.

My jaw clenched when I realized he kept me in the dark. I hated being angry at him, and I wanted to erase this unwelcoming emotion because he was the only person I trusted with my life.

"Did you observe something strange?"

"I was drowsy, and I'm not good of picking up things like that. I just took the pill when she and Lois came to see me. I wasn't able to observe her very well. As I said, she looked weak and pale, and I don't think she could even harm a fly." Darick shrugged.

"How about you, Templeton?"

The idiot, Frost smirked. "She's pretty."

I narrowed my eyes when he briefly eyed me, waiting to see my reaction.

"This is a serious matter, Templeton."

"Sorry, Gael. I have nothing much to say other than she grows some weight and curves—"

"Jesus, Frost!" My voice got everyone's attention. "Tell us something other than what you see."

"I'm just telling the truth. That's what I saw, man. If you didn't stop me from inviting her to come hunting with me, I could have told you some details. I didn't see anything off other than she's friendly. She didn't seem to have something up on her sleeves. I mean, she was shy at first, but later on, she adjusted pretty quick around us and worked her ass off in the garden."