Stronger Together

Start from the beginning

"Well, I guess this is it?" Stewart said, smiling at me. Worry blossomed in my stomach as I looked at him, this smile looked as forced and unnatural as Ms. Hesters. 

"Yeah," I replied. "Thanks again." I attempted to turn around and walk away, but he held out a hand. 

"Wait. Before you go, I should probably tell you how to get out of here." 

"No, that's alright. I'll figure it out." My muscles were starting to hum with adrenaline, eager to get out of this situation. He stared into my eyes, but for a split second, he glanced behind me. 

"I insist. I wouldn't want you to get lost." He kept talking but I wasn't paying attention, I reached out with my mind, allowing the power to search through the garage. How many times until I learn how to listen to my gut feeling when it comes to trusting people? It didn't take me long to sense two men coming towards me, they were only a few feet away. I immediately knew they were abnormal, which made me hesitant to try and invade their minds. Instead, I did the only thing I thought I could.

I ran. I sprinted past Stewart, heading straight towards the rows of cars. I figured they would at least grant me some level of cover.

"Wait!." Stewart's voice echoed around me, making me flinch. "I promise we are only trying to help!."

I ignored him, ducking down to disappear past the cars as I moved forward. A warm, gentle breeze brushed by me and I knew I was close to the exit. I stopped in front of a gray, cracked pillar, keeping low I peeked out from behind it and spotted a large opening leading to the street outside. The problem was that there weren't any more cars between this pillar and the exit, I would be spotted immediately. I glanced behind me as I searched for the men. My abilities told me they were in close pursuit, Stewart still standing at the elevator. I suddenly became aware of another person, but they disappeared and reappeared every few seconds. I knew I had to run now, or they would catch up eventually. 

Without a second thought, I lunged forward, using whatever energy I had left to run towards the exit. Stewart's voice became louder now and more desperate. 

"Rose, please." The mention of my name only made me push harder, the exit now almost reaching distance. I was only a few steps away when I heard him sigh and say. "Fine, I'm sorry. V, not too much." 

I didn't have time to think about what he had said before I heard a high pitched, ringing sound. It was easy to ignore at first but suddenly became so painfully loud I couldn't help but grab at my ears. I tried to keep moving forward, but the sound clawed its way into my head, making me scream out in pain. I dropped to my knees, still clutching at my ears. I could feel blood slowly run down from my nose as my head felt close to exploding. Pain gripped onto me, spreading throughout my body. 

"Enough." I heard a voice and altogether the sound and the pain was gone. I collapsed onto the floor, my body trembling and weak. Black dots began to cloud over my eyes as I fought against the fatigue to keep them open. My vision blurred, but I made out 4 pairs of legs making their way towards me. 

"I'm sorry." I heard someone whisper, right before my eyes fell shut and I floated away into the darkness. 

*******

I first became aware of my breathing. Slow and relaxed. Then I remembered what had happened, how I came to be here. Wherever here was. I kept my eyes closed as I mentally assessed myself. I had no more pain, I felt well-rested and, save for something cold around my wrist, was actually very comfortable. I could also feel my power humming underneath my skin, the familiar, calm voice seemingly waking up as well. 

Figure out where you are, but don't look like you are awake yet.

It urged and I slowly reached out with my ability, assessing the room I was in. At least I seemed to be alone, but I sensed a great amount of energy surrounding me. My heart rate picked up slightly as I continued searching the room, being careful not to go any further. When I was sure it was safe I slowly opened my eyes.