one

track 1: perfect illusion by lady gaga.

" it wasn't love, it wasn't love, it was a perfect illusion. "

Zach looked up at his parents, salty tears running down his blushed cheeks, "I- I swear, I saved up all the money for the apartment, yuh- you need to check out the history of my bank account. Who else has ac- access to it?"

"Only our family." told Mrs. Herron, "Zach, this is extremely unacceptable. There were thousands of dollars saved in your account, what about your future? How are you going to pay for college?"

The tears only fell faster, "Why would I waste all that money! Mom, someone stole it! I wanted that apartment with all my life and have been saving up for years."

"Me and your mother will be checking the history of your bank account. You better hope you aren't lying to us." said Mr. Herron sternly.

"I would never."

His future was crashing down quicker than he could take a shaky breath, wiping the tears off of his stressed cheeks. He wanted to run into his warm bed, falling into a deep sleep while tuning out of reality.

He couldn't breathe. He felt his chest get heavy by every tear that cascaded down from his broken brown eyes. Who would be so heartless to cause a boy that has done nothing but be kind to everyone this much pain.

"We're leaving to the bank." told his mother blankly.

"Okay." whispered Zach, his voice cracking on the last syllable.

The door slammed and Zach felt empty. There was so much money in the account, he had his whole life planned ahead of him. He would attend college while living in an apartment he would've rented, studying music and technology.

It was a perfect illusion.

Zach sadly made his way to his room, preparing to lay in bed until the day passes.

"Zachie?"

Zach lifted his gaze to his younger sister and suddenly felt a tad of happiness spread within him, "Hey Reese."

"Are you okay? I heard someone crying and Auston isn't home, I think mommy and daddy left to go somewhere?" she said while twirling her hair. Zach just hugged her tightly, "Thank you for asking, yeah I'm okay."

"You sure?" she asked while hugging him back. "Yes. Now, do you want me to paint your nails?" asked Zach, leaving the subject hidden.

"Yes! Is there any red polish left?" she asked while running into her room. Zach followed her, "I'm pretty sure mom bought a new bottle."

Reese smiled brightly, "Thank you Zachie!"

Zach walked into her room and felt the aura of love and happiness surrounding him, it was overwhelming. He hoped Reese would never go through what he was, he hoped she'd stay happy all her life and live a better life than he was.

He was maybe overreacting, but getting a call telling you that your bank account total is zero is worse. All  his money was in there. His parents would always tell him, "Save up for your future!" and that's what he did. He listened to them.

That was his worst mistake.

Reese opened all of her drawers in search of the nail polish. Zach just sat on her fully made bed, looking out the window that shined sunlight into the room.

"Zachie, I've got two colors of pink I want you to choose from." told Reese while sitting beside Zach. Zach snapped out of his trance and looked down at his sister, "I like the lighter shade. It would look cute."

Reese smiled, "All right. C'mon downstairs."

They walked to the kitchen and set up the nail polish. Zach opened the lid and flattened out Reese's hand, "Okay, don't move or else you're going to ruin it."

"Got it." Reese reassured.

Zach slowly painted her nails, making sure not to get any on her skin.

Suddenly, there was a huge door slamming that shook Zach and made him go outside her nail. "Sorry Reese!" he whispered.

"What's happening?" she whispered back.

"Reese, stay in your room, okay? Let your nails dry and don't come out until I come to check on you." said Zach hurriedly while rushing her upstairs.

"Wait, why? Zachie? Who is that?"

"It's mom and dad, watch a show on your television, all right?" told Zach while sprinting up the stairs. Reese nodded and sadly waved bye to Zach while closing the door. Zach sighed and walked down the stairs.

"Zach, can we have a chat?" said Mr. Herron as Zach walked down the stairs. Hesitantly, Zach nodded and followed him into the kitchen.

"Why does it smell like nail polish?" he asked.

"I did Reese's nails." told Zach.

They sat in the table seats and his mother joined them.

"What happened?" asked Zach.

"Zach, I know you don't want to hear this, but," dragged Mr. Herron.

"Can you just tell me already?"

"Auston took all your money out of your account."

Zach stared at them and actually laughed, "Okay."

"We're being serious." Mrs. Herron said.

"We're talking about the same Auston, right?" said Zach, still being oblivious.

"Your brother took the money, for his drugs and gambling."

Zach stared at her, fear cascading through his eyes like an ocean's waves on a windy day, in a broken voice he whispered, "Please, tell me you're joking."

Mr. Herron shook his head, "We are not."

Zach's face turned to fumes, "What about my future? How are you two allowing him to do this? I deserve that goddamn apartment!"

"What are we supposed to do?"

"What are yo- Are you being serious with me right now?" yelled Zach. Angry tears started rolling down his already tear stained cheeks, "I earned that money, and you are just going to let it all go like that? I had a future, I had it all planned out, now I have NOTHING! Complete NOTHING! And it's all thanks to my own family."

Nothing.