Chapter XV

Ava

The package from Kai is almost too late. I'm just about to get dressed for the fundraiser when Clara, the housekeeper, brings it up. I wasn't expecting anything from Kai and I rip it open right away.

A thousand layers of tissue paper later, I pull out...a dress.

The dress.

An exact copy of her one-of-a-kind LBD.

But is it a copy, or is it-?

My fingers fly over the touchscreen as I text her.

The dress is beautiful! Thanks so much! Yours?

Only the best for my best friend. Think of it like me being there the only way I can be. You'll be perfect!

I bite my lip to keep tears from falling and ruining my mascara. It's such a sweet gesture. I promise myself I'll return the dress to Ava, even if she insists I keep it. It was a gift from her father and I don't want to take that from her. But tonight I'll have a part of my best friend near. Nothing can spoil that joy.

/

The fundraiser is well underway when Beckett arrives. I spot him across the gallery and thread my way through the crowd to greet him.

There's something different about his face. When I get closer, I see the bandage.

"Beckett, what on earth happened?"

He shakes his head. "It doesn't matter."

"It does to me! Honestly, what happened?"

His jaw tightens. "Please don't ask me, Ava."

"But-"

"I don't want to lie to you about it so please don't ask me."

A lump wells in my throat because something - or is it someone? - has hurt him and he doesn't trust me enough to tell me. I want to help. But at the same time, it reminds me that I know so little about him. With his secrets and the fact that he obviously isn't part of the A-crowd...not for the first time, I think that Mom and Dad wouldn't want me spending time with Beckett.

But what they know can't hurt them. And Beckett needs me, no matter how many times he tells me everything's fine.

A cellphone rings.

Beckett pulls it from his pants pocket. I watch him as he says "Hello?". Watch as his expression darkens, as his eyes grow worried. "I'll be right there," he says and ends the call.

"Beckett?"

He shakes his head. "I have to go. I'm sorry, Ava. But I have to go."

And he runs from the gallery, leaving my head and heart full of questions.

/

"We raised almost $10,000," I say. "The Society can start work on expansion right away."

Mr. Bell shakes his head. "That's amazing, Ava. You did a great job."

"Everyone did. Not just me." I hitch my purse strap higher up my shoulder. "I, um, came here to see the puppy."

"Certainly." Mr. Bell leads me over to the cage and I crouch down a little so I'm eye-level with the puppy. He's grown a lot, chocolate brown fur getting longer, shaggier. He's definitely a mix of a few breeds, but still cuter than any other dog I've ever seen.

"He's a lot gentler than when we first got him," Mr. Bell says. "I've taken him out a few times for training and he's responding well. I think we'll be able to put a price over the enclosure in another week or so."

"Really?" Disappointment makes me whine and I flush.

Mr. Bell nods. "We don't have a lot of room here ourselves. Maybe another fundraiser?" he suggests, grinning.

He's joking but I shake my head anyway. "No, thank you." A headache from last night still lingers, through I'm not sure if it's from the stress of making sure everything went smoothly or my worry over Beckett.

"By the way, Mr. Bell...have you heard anything from Beckett?"

He sobers. "Yes, I did. I thought he'd have told you."

Apparently not. "Told me what?"

"His father's in the hospital."

"What?" I gasp. "Why?"

"He was in a car crash."