T h i r t y

Avery Lockwood's POV:

The pain from the hot coffee numbed the incoming shock but when the pain subsided a bit, it was then I realised what happened.

Kyle Finlay.

He's here. Standing ten feet apart from me. The person that I thought I was never going to meet again.

At the rate my heart is bursting in my chest, I was probably going to die soon.

I feel the familiar grip of panic wrap its claws around my heart. Does he know about Kaleb?  Is he going to take Kaleb away from me after he finds out that he has an heir? No. I would never let that happen.

"Welcome, Avery Tate." Kyle says as takes his legs off his mahogany desk and walks slowly towards me like a predator stalking its prey. 

A cold smirk makes its way towards his face as he says,"Or should I say Avery Lockwood?" He pauses as he comes, standing in front of me. "So we finally meet again?" He says smirking as he shamelessly checks me out, looking up and down.

"What the hell do you want?" I said feeling confused and angry as I glared at him.

"You don't need to be so damn aggressive, Avery. Instead, I would prefer if you would spread your legs for me like you did last time." He said and the comment hit me like a train wreck.

"You bloody fucking bastard!" I said clenching my fists as I was controlling myself from strangling his neck.

He smirked, "tsk.. tsk.... Avery, that's no way to talk to your boss."

I looked at him incredulously, "You think that I would still work for you after seeing you here? Well think again. I'm resigning, shithead." I said and turned around, walking towards the door.

As my hand reached the doorknob, his voice came, "You sure you wanna do that?" He said in a mocking tone as he took out an envelope from his top drawer. "You didn't really carefully read the contract, did you? Ah stupid Avery." He said smirking in a pitying voice and I felt alarmed. 

Snatching the envelope from his hands, I opened it. It was the exact copy of the contract that I had with the company but the only difference was that some of its points were highlighted and underlined. It was like he was waiting for me to read this.

My eyes widened as I read some of those highlighted points.

"Yeah, that's right. If you resign within one year from now, you will have to pay twenty-thousand dollars as a fine for breaking the contract. Think about it carefully, Avery." He said cruelly laughing like it was a joke to him. 

"You...You... designed this contract, didn't you? You're the one who planned it!" I said shouting and glaring at him as I pointed my index finger towards him.

"Oh wow, you're so smart!" He said rolling his eyes and giving me a clap.

 I didn't even know what to do at this point. How will I get twenty-thousand dollars on my own? If I told Dad, I know for a fact that he will pay it even if he has to sell his own company without even saying anything to me. But thinking of Dad paying the price of something that I was too stupid to get caught in, made me feel guilty. No, I cannot do that to my father.

"What do you want? Why the hell cant you just leave me alone?" I shouted at him.

"Oh come on, Avery." He says calmly. "You were the one who actually left without so much as a thanks for the fuck." My lips parted and I inhaled sharply.

Without even thinking, I swung my hand at him. 

Just a second, my hand would slap his freaking face and I would receive the satisfaction I needed right now.