Prologue

• • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • • •

I wandered around the fairgrounds, trying to keep my head low and avoid any unnecessary attention. Everyone around me was smiling, enjoying the fresh air and the country music that the nearby band was playing. I saw fathers and daughters, boyfriends and girlfriends, a familiar feeling of jealousy began weighing in my stomach, resulting in me keeping my head even lower.

My eyes locked on a young couple, pointing out all the fish to their small son when a voice shattered my thoughts. "Would you like to have your cards read?"

I turned my attention to the old woman who had spoken. She sat beneath a large, canopy tent behind a table on a folding chair. Along with soft features, she had a kind smile growing even more wrinkles on her aged face. I couldn't help but think that the smile was misleading, still I answered with respect like I was always taught to do. "I'm sorry but I don't have any money."

"Don't worry, honey," the lady cooed, the warmth radiating off her was almost uncomfortable for me. "You remind me in my golden days, so take a seat. I don't mind letting this one go."

I gave her a forced smile, "Thanks." I took a seat across from her on another metal folding chair. I had just noticed the sign that sat on her table which read, Get Your Cards Read To Discover Your Future.

The words written in pretty calligraphy made me realize what I was in for, a tarot card reading. Anything magical or fictional was a lost cause on me, I never believed a word of it. Even so, I smiled kindly and waited patiently for her to get started. Whatever future she was about to decide for me couldn't be a good one.

"Let's begin," she rubbed her hands together in excitement. I nodded in agreement, watching curiously as she flipped over the first card. A roaring lion was revealed on the other side.

I looked at it for a moment, lions were the kings of the jungle, I can't even walk into the living room without being scolded. I wasn't the king of anything, "What does that mean?"

"Looks like great strength will be needed to make it through these next few months," the old woman ominously stated.

A shiver went down my spine at those words, imaging a more difficult life than I already had was a challenge. I guess I shouldn't be complaining, it looks like things will be getting worse anyway. "What's going to happen?"

She flipped a card from a different deck. "Ooooo," the woman gave me a cheesy grin as she flickered her wrinkled eyes between me and the newly revealed card which had two hearts locked within the other's lines. "You'll be meeting your soulmate today!" She wiggled her shoulders playfully as I tried to formulate a response in my head.