Chapter 21

•Be careful•

Third Person

The girl, still seated on the boy's lap with their lips locked not having anything other in mind but the feeling of their lips molding together.

Hayes was a tough shell of a boy, he never let someone destroy and hurt what belonged to him. Since his father had not been properly able to, he took upon the role of protecting his loved ones. The last thing he expected was for a girl, let alone a girl like Winter who had a rather introverted personality, to enter his life and free him of his masquerade. And he let it fall willingly.

The moment Hayes connected their lips, both felt an emotion expand from their hearts to the tips of their nails. They were in a safe, secure space with only each other.

"I want you to be my girlfriend," he stated, their lips close but distanced enough so they could feel the rather cold wind brush against them, cooling the heat. The frozen girl on his lap stared at him with wide eyes, at a loss for words. She knew that she had been slowly but surely falling for him.

"I— uh. I don't think that's very good,"
Her eyes looked at anything but Hayes's ones.

His expression turned into one of disappointment, but he knew that one way or the other, she would end up at his side.

"I don't exactly know what this is between us, but I certainly don't want it to end." He paused and let his hand grip his chin firmly. "I'm not going to up and leave, and you won't either. If you want a bit to think about it, that's fine, but you should know that at the end of the day, I will not let you be with anyone other than me. You're mine, now."

Hayes didn't care that he, for a fact, sounded like a damned psychopath.

In his own weird...psychotic sounding way, he expressed that he wanted her, only her. She felt the tears built up in her eyes, the determination was so earnestly etched onto his face that she wanted nothing more than to kiss him senseless.

All these past few years she was plagued with anxiety and depression, Hayes made it seem like she was as different from other people as she had thought. With him, she felt safe like nothing could harm but her own thoughts, and even those had a hard time coming through.

It made her heart beat faster that it ever had before.

Doubts still raced around her mind, washing insecurities all over her mind and putting her down. She closed her eyes tightly, trying to make them disappear, she wanted to listen to her heart for this. And her heart urged her to make Hayes hers whatever it may have cost, no matter the risk of being even more disliked by the school's students. This was about her and him, nobody's else.
She was not about to let other people decide her happiness for her anymore, she was going to create her own happiness.

"Promise?" She stuck her pinky out, she did not mind that it probably be childish. The pinky promise was eternal.

Hayes locked his pinky with hers. "I promise."

"Okay, " it was a mere whisper that escaped her lips while she played with the buttons of the black flannel he wore. Judged by the way the corners of his mouth quirked up into a soft smile, he had understood her perfectly clear, "Really?"

"Yes."

He leaned forward and brought his lips in contact with the ones of the girl he could call his, with her consent. Both of them were content at the moment but who could have known how long this would last.

They didn't and neither did the majority of people. That was what so many people subconsciously feared; the uncertainty of the amount of time they had with the people they loved and held close to their heart.

Winter already forgot about her conflict at home as her mind was completely focused on her newly made boyfriend.

By now, Winter had almost forgot about her conflict at home as her mind was simultaneously mush as it was entirely focused on the handsome boy in front of her.

A good hour later she found that it was quite late. Although she did not want to deal with the man she had once called her brother, Winter knew that she would be in even more trouble than she was already in, if she came home any later.

Hayes's attention was on his girlfriend in his lap, she had come crashing into his world without any purpose and now she had become his world. He kept his hands on her waist, a thing he seemed to love doing, and drew circles on them while thinking about how relieved he was that she had agreed. Had she not agreed, it would not have made that much of a difference, he would have just kept going until she would not have been able to resist him longer.

"I need to go home," she mumbled sadly into his chest where she was laying her head on.

"Do you have to?" He didn't want her to leave his arms, this moment to end, and not have her in his presence so he held onto her tighter, nestling his head in the crook of her neck when she sat upright.

A sigh rolled over her lips, her hands gripping his shirt gently."I don't want to but otherwise I'll be in a lot of trouble,"

"Alright, I'll take you,"

Winter made a move to stand up after she agreed to let him take her home but Hayes had other ideas. He stood up with the girl wrapping her legs around his torso and throwing her arms around his neck to prevent herself from falling down as he didn't let go of her. He would never.