no one's gonna love you more than i do

word count: 970

climbing the steps to your front door, you struggled with the multiple bags of groceries as you fumbled with your keys

climbing the steps to your front door, you struggled with the multiple bags of groceries as you fumbled with your keys. just as you slipped the key in the doorknob, the door opened in front of you, revealing your boyfriend. he stood with a grin on his lips, messy hair and a bouquet of roses in hand.

"calum thomas hood, you didn't."

"happy valentine's day, baby," he said with a sweet, sweet smile, fluttering his eyelashes at you. calum took in your appearance, his heart beating out of his chest just at the sight of you. the boy was truly in love, though you'd only been together for a short while.

you stood in the doorway in your work clothes, your unhappy frown turned upside down as you were greeted with your amazing boyfriend. calum could change your mood in an instant, it was beyond extraordinary.

"you look so pretty, y/n. here, let me help you with the groceries."

calum took all of the bags, placing them in the kitchen as you collapsed onto the couch. he rested the flowers on the kitchen table before walking over to where you were laying on the couch. he picked up your legs, sliding beside you and resting them over his lap.

"how was work, baby?" he asked, lightly running his fingers over your legs.

"it was tiring. i had to cover a bit of michelle's shift, sorry i got home so late," you sighed, shifting so you could look at the boy. he smiled at you, squeezing your knee.

"it's alright, love."

"how was your day? did you get out with michael?" you asked, sitting up. he shook his head, pulling you onto his lap. you sat straddling the boy, his fingers running over your thighs.

"no, i stayed home but i did go out for a run with duke to pick up your flowers. you said you liked roses on our first date so i hope you still do," he chuckled, glancing over to the bouquet on the table. you placed your hand on his cheek, causing the boy to turn his attention back to you.

"i love them, cal. thank you."

"i know you don't like valentine's day but i really just wanted to do something for you," he said softly, his eyes darting between your's in search of something wrong. there was nothing there but pure love, though. "you've had a rough couple of weeks regarding mental health and you've been working so hard lately and i just feel helpless—"

you cut him off with a kiss. it was soft, only your lips to his before you pulled away. "you're amazing."

he beamed. "what did i do to deserve you?" he mumbled, cupping your cheek as his thumb swiped across your soft skin. a blush appeared on your cheeks as he looked so intently into your eyes. he whispered this next part, so softly you were afraid to breathe too hard in case the boy would shatter. "i'm so in love with you, y/n."

leaning in, you met calum halfway and your lips met so so softly. it was almost exactly like your first kiss, though this felt so much more meaningful. you've only been with calum for a short period of time, maybe five months, but you were so sure of your relationship. both you and calum were wary on the fact of 'dating' but decided to give it a go because of just how in love you were with each other. you were certain that he was the one, and him the same for you.

as your lips moved against one another, calum laid you down gently on the couch. you continued to kiss, your fingers in his hair as calum unbuttoned your shirt. as he pulled away, the boy mumbled how beautiful you were before leaving kisses down your neck to your collarbone and to the valley between your breasts. he stopped there, pausing as he hovered above you.

"what?" you asked, confused.

suddenly, calum peeled himself off of you. he walked over to the record player in the corner of your living room, turning the volume knob up slightly. you smiled, recognizing the song. it was your's and calum's — "no one's gonna love you" by band of horses. it had played in calum's car when he drove you home after your first date. he'd pulled over on the side of the highway, putting on his hazard lights before leaning over the console to cup your face and press his lips to your's. it was the first kiss you'd shared, and forever a memory that would give you butterflies no matter how many times you'd replay it in your head.

"dance with me."

you glanced up at the boy. he held his hand out, the coffee table now moved to the side as the living room was cleared for a dance floor. you giggled, placing your hand in his as he helped you stand up.

calum pulled you in close, placing his hand on the small of your back and his other in your's as he began to sway back and forth. you giggled, watching as the boy smiled down at you. he began to hum, and finally starting to sing the chorus.

"no one's gonna love you more than i do," he sang softly, his chin resting on your head as your cheek was pressed to his chest. you listened to the boy's soft, beautiful singing as you felt his heart beating.

the song came to a close, your eyes now shut as calum pulled away, but not too far. he looked down to you, cupping your face as you batted your eyes up at him.

"no one's gonna love you more than i do, darlin'."