13 | Chapter Thirteen

Start from the beginning

"Whachu got there?" asked Macey, pointing down at the book. He then began to stammer, tucking it away from her wandering eye. Such a suspicious action made her raise an eyebrow, putting the book she had back into her bag.

"It's nothing," he muttered, but Macey wasn't very swindled with his answer. He was up to no good.

"Oh." Macey then stepped forward, causing him to step back, nervously laughing underneath his breath. She furrowed her brows, scrunching her nose at him, gliding her finger along her jawline. What games are you playing at Iza!

"You're bad at lying," Macey muttered through her teeth, folding her arms across her chest. "I know damn well that's got info about shadows. Now spill!"

Iza let out a sigh and groaned. "Okay, Macey, you win. I'm here because Connor needs my help."

That nerd. Her entire face turned sour, wondering why he was bothered with the idea of shadows. Macey had forgotten about the possibility that someone was after her, remembering the words that Hazel muttered a few weeks ago. There's nothing to worry about. She said which Macey wholeheartedly believed. But for some reason, Connor didn't?

"Why is he looking into shadows," asked Macey, squinting thoughtfully at the now shaken up Iza. He scratched the back of his neck and shrugged.

"I don't know," he replied. "All I know is that he's been asking me to gather information from the Citadel."

"Can't get it himself?" she asked, walking alongside Iza as he attempted to avoid her question. "He's a Heslington, doesn't he get full access to whatever he wants at the Citadel?"

Iza shook his head. "It's not that easy. My parents don't have the authority to be giving that info out to other students. The reason they give it to me is that I told them it's for elemental research."

Their footsteps murmured throughout the semi-empty library, which only held a few students in the facility. Macey caught a glimpse of two students studying in one of the tables while in the corner of her eye, she saw another student scanning the bookshelves.

"So you lied?" Macey hummed, cocking her brow at him. "Didn't think you were capable of such things."

"If it helps Connor, I don't see the harm."

Macey shook her head. The purity of Iza was drifting over the gullible line, letting people like Connor take advantage of such kindness. She pouted her lip in disgust, adverting her eyes across the library, looking at raindrops run down the large moon crescent windows. Damn clueless, the both of them. She knew that his intentions were nothing but genuine, but Izas actions made her feel pity while Connors created a bile taste in her mouth. Typical Heslington, using people for his gain.

"Ah, look," Iza croaked. "Speak of the devil; it's Connor."

Macey's gaze lingered over to the corner of the room, laying her eyes on the nerd who was tucked away in the darkness of the library, surrounded by an array of books. When Connors eyes met with Macey's, he instantly frowned at her presence.

"Why did you bring her?" Connor groaned, pointing his thumb at her while shooting daggers at Iza. "I specifically said if you wanted to help, come alone."

Macey's eyes widened then she shrugged, shaking her head at the little effort Connor showed not to be rude.

"Well, I'll be damned," she muttered, folding her arms across her chest. "Ain't you sunshine and butterflies."