Karma: Chapter Seven

It was prom night.

And I was dreading it.

Cam had asked me to prom about two months ago. He had ordered one of those giant cookies and had ‘Prom?’ We were at a restaurant and he had a waiter deliver it to the table once we were done with our meal.

“If you say yes, you can have the cookie. If you decline, I’m going to have to take it back,” Cam told me. I loved cookies, especially giant ones. Saying yes was a win-win situation, so of course I agreed. We even got free dessert, complementary of Red Lobster.

I was going to assume that we were not longer going to prom together. He probably forgot he even asked me. I kind of felt sorry for him. He had to go to prom with Julia, someone who’s been planning her prom night since freshmen year. She had her dad get her a limo and a designer dress.

I was going to prom solo. Lame right? Could you get in with half of a couple’s ticket? I sure hope so. Did that mean Julia had a single’s ticket to get in with Cam? The thought made me snicker. I was going to enjoy my last prom, even if it killed me. I wasn’t one of those girls whose dream was going to prom, because that was just a stupid dream.

Paul let me borrow his limo for the night, so Julia and Cam weren’t the only ones showing up in one. I invited Angelo, Anna, and a few of my other friends along. Riding in a limo alone is no fun.

“Audrey, will you curl my hair?” Anna asked, holding up the curling iron.

I nodded and set to work on her chestnut colored tresses. I was jealous of her hair. Each strand felt like silk under my fingers. After doing her hair, I applied her makeup. She returned the favor. I left my hair the way it was, running my brush through my auburn waves.

We put on our dresses, jewelry, and shoes and headed downstairs to the paparazzi. Well, my dad. The flash was going off every two seconds. I flashed my biggest smile and Anna did the same. I think he took over a hundred before the doorbell rang.

“That’s Angelo!” Anna squealed, reaching for the doorknob.

My dad beat her to it. “Ah, you must be Anna’s boyfriend.”

“Hello sir.”
“Anna’s like a daughter to me, so you won’t hurt her, am I correct?”

“Do we have to do this now, Mr. Milan?” Anna whined.

“Have her home by eleven.”

“Prom isn’t over until one, sir.”

“Fine, no later than 1:15, got it?”

“Yes sir.”

Dad seemed amused by Angelo. I guess he could do the interrogation thing with Angelo. Poor Angelo, interrogated by two dads instead of one. Paul’s limo was parked outside on the curb, the driver patiently waiting for us. He picked up Angelo before he came and got us. Anna put the boutonnière on his tux, and he fumbled with the corsage on her wrist.

The doorbell rang again. “Who could that be?”Dad said, voicing my thoughts out loud. We were going to pick up the others later. Maybe they forgot or were too excited that they couldn’t wait.

“What are you doing here, Cameron?”

Cam? What was he doing here? Was he taking me to prom? He was a man of his word…he was choosing me over Julia? Oh happy day! Maybe our love story wouldn’t end in tragedy. Happiness bubbled inside of me. I couldn’t help the smile that was forming on my face.