Keep Fighting

At 8:47 on a Wednesday morning. Archie Andrews died. At least, the Archie we knew. What returned to Riverdale was something different from the red headed boy-next-door. He was now a stranger, with dark hair and scars... both in and out.

"Two chocolates, one double chocolate, one vanilla, and a root beer float for Archie," Jughead sent me a confused glance as I sat diagonally across from him. Across from Betty and next to Archie. I knew now though that this was not just Archie he was different changed. Pop drew me out of my thoughts as he greeted the boy "Welcome home son." "Thanks Pop," I looked out the window and I could feel Archie follow my gaze. "Since when do you drink root beer floats," Betty questioned paying for the shakes and mine and Jughead's burgers.

"I guess I'm just not in the mood for a strawberry milkshake," Veronica turned to him from the other side of him and Jughead breathed heavily. "New hair, new drink, new haunted vacant look in your eyes" "Jug," I whispered to my brother. "Guys, Archie just lived through The Revenant. Let him order what he wants" Veronica grabbed his hand from under the table and he looked uncomfortable.

"So what'd I miss while I was gone?"

I laughed out loud and Archie turned to me "What?" he whispered "A lot." "Well, thanks to the town's quarantine orchestrated by my fathers, Pops was shut down and just re-opened. And he's also been attacking shipments to the Speakeasy. But thankfully I've hired the serpents as my full-time protection, and that service extends to you Archie. Oh and A.J. is my new business partner." I nodded "You one have to worry about Hiram's goons coming after you or your dad. You won't be able to see 'em but we have guys watching you, 24/7. And I have a possible lead that could diffuse this threat permanently," my brother smirked at me and I smiled back softly remembering the conversation I had with Fangs last night.

"What, Jug?" I pushed my burger into my mouth and took a bit out of it slurping my double chocolate shake. Jughead looked around and leaned making me sigh. "You can't tell anyone," he whispered to us. "Fangs is deep undercover in the gargoyle gang. He hasn't met the king yet, but he's working on it, and when we get access to him," he paused "We're gonna take him down," I finished and nodded. "My bet isn't that's its Hiram underneath the mask.... sorry Veronica," she shook her head "Don't be. I wouldn't put it past him," I sighed and took another gulp of my shake.

"Well there goes studying for the SATs."

Archie placed his cup down on the table. "What? SATs?" I nodded "Yea there this Saturday," Betty replied. His eyes filled with shock and I sighed "Don't worry Arch I will help you study and get caught up, okay? We all will," I nodded "I'm down."

Archie sighed leaning his head back against the booth. "I'm sorry Betty but your debit card was declined," Pop handed the card back to Betty and she stared down at it surprised. "I got you B, just put it on my tab Pop," Veronica instructed.

**********************
The next day

  First, second, and third period went by in a blur, but walking to fourth period I noticed Reggie sulking  in a corner across from my classroom. I walked over to my brooding friend "What's wrong Reg," he looked up at me and sighed. "Ver..." he exhaled deeply "Veronica broke up with you because Archie's back and your pretended like you understood that she doesn't want Archie to know but you really like her," his eyes widened surprised making me laugh. "How'd you know that?" I shrugged "You're one of my best friends Reggie I can tell when you like someone," his eyebrows jumped to the top of his head.