39

"I couldn't find any ice cream so here's an ice pop." Jeongguk handed the small packaging to Jaehwa before he plopped down next to her, a sigh escaped his lips when the soreness finally came to him.

He couldn't believe that it was already dark now, only realised that when he went out just now and saw how the sky had changed into a blanket of shimmering stars. Jeongguk wished he could drag Jaehwa out so they could stargaze together, but it was winter and making anyone, especially Hyun, fall sick was the last thing Jeongguk wanted to do. At last, he decided to stay indoor, eating the ice pop at the kid cafe's cafeteria.

He was lucky that today went smoothly. He captured many great moments with Hyun, and as much as he wanted to deny this, Jeongguk had to admit that he had so much fun today. Looking down at his arms, Jeongguk then smiled to see how Hyun was sleeping soundly, his flushed red cheeks showed the evident that he was tired after all the new adventures he went through with Jeongguk today. From crawling around the kid cafe to drowning himself in a pool of balls, from bouncing on the trampoline to taking a ride on an electric animal, Jeongguk made sure Hyun go all out today. Didn't even notice that he himself had became short of breath until Hyun fell asleep in his arms.

"You're not eating?" Jaehwa asked as she unwrapped her ice pop, taking it into her mouth afterwards. Jeongguk replied with a rather inaudible no, looking down at Hyun to brush the boy's silky hair. "By the way, I believe what you told me before."

"What?" Jeongguk arched an eyebrow, looking at the girl only to see her grinning cheekily, as if she was hiding something. "Which one?" The question made him realise how he had been stuck with Jaehwa for such a long period of time, to the point he had lost count how many times they had sat back and talked about Hyun and parenting. For a split second, it was funny, yet Jeongguk couldn't laugh at how so many things had changed ever since Hyun came into his life. He used to be all alone, used to keep a distance from a girl because he hated responsibility with all his heart, yet there he was, letting Jaehwa see his tears, hugging her without a dot of shame of what she would think of him. Though their friendship didn't start off really well, Jeongguk knew, realised that she was the one. The one he could count on.

"Your future kids. They will be in safe hands." Jaehwa mocked, deepening her voice to imitate the way he told her when they had lunch together back then. Jeongguk groaned in annoyance as a response, but in all honesty, he was trying his best to not crack a smile, didn't want her to know how that simple compliment bloomed his heart. "I believed that now."

Jeongguk looked down at Hyun again, was so close to slapping Jaehwa's hand when she poked her index finger on Hyun's cheek. Seeing how Jaehwa could find happiness in babies like this made Jeongguk wonder, how did she develop feelings for someone who had nothing to do with her? Why did she choose to babysit when she could do way easier things?

The corner of his lips curved when Jaehwa leaned in to plant a peck on Hyun's forehead before she giggled upon the lipstick stain she left on the little boy. On daily basis, being this close with someone would make him uncomfortable, but today, or to be exact, Kim Jaehwa, was an exception. He stared at the way she aimed for Hyun's button nose, the way she tucked her hair behind her ears before she continued to annoy the sleeping Hyun.

"Jaehwa." Her name finally slipped out of Jeongguk's mouth, only noticing that when she jerked her head to look up at him. "Why... why did you choose babysitting? Why do you like babies?"

Jaehwa hummed as she thought for an answer, glints flooded her eyes as she tilted her head to lock eyes with Jeongguk. "Why did you choose to look after Hyun?"

Taken aback by her question, Jeongguk blinked furiously, had to clear his throat before letting out breathless chuckles. "I lost to Jimin. I- I don't have a choice, do I?"