Chapter 13

Third Person POV.

A dragon drops Toothless in front of Hiccup and Ocean as they are in a dark ice cave, surrounded by other dragons. Another dragon drops Freya beside Toothless, making Hiccup gasp as he runs over to her. He kneels down in front of her, taking her into his arms and look down at her worriedly as he moves her wet hair out of her eyes.
"She's freezing," Hiccup mumbles to himself. She wasn't just freezing, she was barely breathing and was paler than normal.  "Freya?" He says softly as he moves his hand to the side of her face. "Come on, Freya. Wake up," Hiccup says desperately as he shakes her gently, trying to get her to gain consciousness. But, it doesn't work. "Please wake up," He says in a painful tone as he pulls her closer to him, trying to warm her up.

Freya's POV.

I slowly begin to wake up, the first thing I hear is the sound of someone speaking. I feel someone holding me close to them, making me feel warmer.
"Please wake up," I hear a familiar voice say. I slowly open my eyes, though it was hard as they felt so heavy and cold. Everything is blurry for a moment, but my vision quickly clears and I see Hiccup looking down at me worriedly.
"Hiccup?" I say, though right after speaking I begin to cough. I hear him sigh in relief as he wraps his arms around me and brings me into a hug.
"You're okay, you're okay. I've got you," He whispers. I take in a deep breath as I finally stop cough. I sigh tiredly, leaning my head on his shoulder as he continues to hold me tight.

"Where are we?" I ask as I notice we're in a dark place with a bunch of dragons around us.
"I'm not sure," Hiccup says as he stands up, carefully helping me stand with him. We look over and see the strange person from before shaking their staff, which makes some kind of rattling sound. All the dragons begin to open their mouths, creating fire within them, holding their mouths open and lighting up the cave we're in. The person begins to walk over to us, making Ocean and Toothless growl at them, trying to protect us from whoever this is. The person does something with their hand that makes our dragons fall to the floor, making some kind of humming sound as they lay on the ground. Hiccup and I look at the person in shock as they begin to walk closer to us. Hiccup protectively pushes me behind him, keeping a hand on my waist.

The masked person holds out their hand to Hiccup's face, but they gasp and back away from us, seemingly shocked by something.
"Hiccup?" The person whispers as they take off their mask, revealing a woman with green eyes. "Could it be? After all these years?" The woman says as she stares at Hiccup in shock. "How is this possible?" She asks.
"Uh, should I...should I know you?" Hiccup asks her in confusion.
"No. You were only a babe..." The woman states, looking for a moment. "But, a mother never forgets," She says as she looks back over to him sadly. I stare at her in shock as Hiccup stammers, clearly not knowing what to say to her.

"Come..." She says as she starts to walk away rather quickly. We begin to walk after her, Hiccup helping me as we go. She enters some kind of rock maze and we quickly follow her.
"Hold on! Wait just a minute!" Hiccup shouts after her.
"This way," She says as she climbs over rocks, not turning around.
"Come back here!" Hiccup shouts.
"Come," She says again.
"You can't just say something like that and run off!" Hiccup explains. "You're my MOTHER?! I mean, what the- do you grasp how INSANE it sounds?!" He shouts to her.
"Come. Quickly!" She shouts back, still not slowing down.

"I have questions! Where have you been all this time?" Hiccup asks as Toothless helps him climb over a tall rock before he turns around and helps me over the rock before we continue to walk. "What've you been doing?! They said you were dead!" Hiccup says as we walk through the maze of rocks. "Everyone thinks you were eaten by..." He pauses as we walk out of the maze and see hundreds, if not thousands, of dragons flying around a beautiful sanctuary of land.
"...Dragons," Hiccup finishes his sentence as we look around in awe. We look up and see Hiccup's mother hanging off a wall, hanging onto her dragon.
"This is where you've been for twenty years?" Hiccup asks her in shock and she nods.

"You've been rescuing them," I say with a small smile as I look around at all the dragons.
"Unbelievable," Hiccup says as he too looks around in awe.
"You're not upset?" She asks him.
"What? No. I don't know," Hiccup says, shaking his head in confusion. "It's a bit much to get my head around, to be frank. It's not every day you find out your mother is some kind of crazy, feral, vigilante dragon lady," He states, making her laugh softly as her dragon helps her get back to the ground.
"At least I'm not boring... right?" She asks with a small smile.

"I suppose there is that...one...specific...thing..." Hiccup mumbles as he pets a dragon asking for attention.
"Do you like it?" She asks as she walks over to him.
"I don't have the words," Hiccup says, smiling as he looks around again. I look over and see Ocean and Toothless being surrounded by curious dragons who playfully approach and sniff at them. Toothless stands in front of Ocean protectively, which seems to scare the dragons off.
"Can I...?" Hiccup's mother asks, motion to Toothless and Ocean. We nod.
"They're beautiful! Incredible! And they might very well be the last of their kind," She says as he walks over to them and they happily let her touch them.

"And look, they're your age! No wonder you get along so well," She states. "And retractable teeth! Ah! How did you manage to..." She trails off in wonder.
"We found them in the woods. They were shot down and wounded," Hiccup informs her, making her frown sadly.
"This Snafflefang lost his leg to one of Drago Bludvist's iron traps," She says as she walks over to one of the dragons, who was indeed missing a part of his leg. "This Raincutter had her wing sliced by razor netting. And poor Gruff was blinded by a tree snare...then left to die alone and scared," She explains, making me frown sadly.

"And what of this? Did Drago or his trappers do this, too?" She asks, pointing to Toothless' red tail wing.
"Heh. Well, the crazy thing is...I'm actually the one who shot them down," Hiccup says nervously as she looks at him somewhat shocked.
"But, Toothless got him back," I state as I look over to Hiccup with a small smile, trying to lighten the mood.
"Yep, you couldn't save all of me, could you? You just had to make it even," Hiccup says, smiling over at Toothless. "So...peg leg!" He says as he holds up his leg, showing her his prosthetic leg.
"What did your father think of your Night Fury friend?" She asks as she pets Toothless again.

"He didn't take it all that well. But then...he changed. They all did," Hiccup states.
"Now everyone on Berk has dragons," I tell her.
"If only it were possible," She says sadly.
"No, really, I-" Hiccup tries to say, but she interrupts.
"Believe me, I tried as well. But, people are not capable of change, Hiccup," She says as she stands up. "Some of us...we're just born different," She says as she turns around and looks at all of the happily flying dragons.
"Berk was a land of kill or be killed, but I believed peace was possible," She begins to say.

"One night, a dragon broke into our house, finding you in the cradle. I rushed to protect you, but what I saw...was proof of everything I believed. This wasn't a vicious beast, but an intelligent, gentle creature, whose soul reflected my own," She explains. "You and your father nearly died that night, all because I couldn't kill a dragon," She says, look back at him sadly.
"Yeah, it runs in the family," Hiccup says with a soft chuckle, making her smile.
"It broke my heart to stay away, but I believed you'd be safer if I did," She tells him. They stare at each other as silence falls over us, I look between them awkwardly and decide to break the silence.

"How did you survive?" I ask the woman in front of me, making her turn her head to me.
"Oh, Cloudjumper never meant to harm me," She says as she turns back to all the dragons and we begin to walk. "He must've thought I belonged here...In the home of the great Bewilderbeast! The Alpha species. One of very few that still exist," She says as we stop walking at the edge of a cliffside, where we see a huge white dragon sitting in the middle of the sanctuary.
"Every nest has its queen, but this is the king of all dragons," She informs us as we stare in awe and wonder of the giant dragon in front of us.

"With his icy breath, this graceful giant built our nest. A safe haven for dragons everywhere," She explains.
"Wait, that's the ice-spitter?" I ask her in shock.
"He's responsible for all that destruction?" Hiccup asks.
"He protects us. We all live under his care. And his command," She explains. "All but the babies, of course...who listen to no one!" She says, laughing as we see the babies pester Toothless and Ocean before Cloudjumper scares them off. 

They land on the Bewilderbeast, who wakes up and gently blows them off before he turns to face us.
"I've lived among them for twenty years, learning their ways, discovering their secrets," She explains as the Bewilderbeast gently blows a puff of snow onto Hiccup's hair, creating a frost over his hair and making me giggle. "He likes you," She tells him with a smile.
"Wow," Hiccup says as he shakes the snow off of his hair.
"You must be hungry," She says, looking over to us.
"Uh, yeah. I could eat," Hiccup states while I nod.
"Good. It's feeding time," She tells us as she begins to walk away and we follow her after her.