Ch 15 × Ruined

Minami POV

A week flew by and things went by normally. I no longer have any yokai problems because of Yura. Staying with her where she could protect me was really helpful.

Today I had woken up quite early. It was the first time I had ever been awake before Yura. Yawning, I made my way to the kitchen and opened up the fridge. I made myself some cereal and checked my text messages while I waited for Yura to wake up.

It wasn't long after that when Yura emerged from her own room.

"Minami-chan...?"

I beamed at her, "Yep."

"What made you wake up so early?"

"I don't know, I guess I just happened to wake up before you did."

She shrugged at me and also made herself cereal. The morning was quiet as we continued to eat our breakfast.

"Do you want to go anywhere today?" It was a Sunday so there was no school.

"I don't have anything in mind. Do you?"

"Hmm, we could go to the arcade or go shopping?"

She sighed, "I'll probably run out of money."

"Well then, we should go somewhere fun that wouldn't cost alot. I still think the arcade is a pretty good idea."

"Okay then. We'll eat lunch out and then go hang out in the arcade."

"Sounds great."

"You better not take an hour in the bathroom then."

I scoffed, "I don't take that long to get ready."

"Uh, yeah you do."

"I do? Well, I'll try to be faster."

"Good enough."

We laughed for a while in the quiet apartment as the morning sunlight spilled over into the room. I decided that I liked mornings.

---

"Hurry up, Minami, I getting hungry."

"Geez, I know, I know. I'm almost done." I spat out through clenched teeth as I desperately tried to comb my hair and put on my clothes as fast as possible.

When I opened the bathroom door a few minutes later, Yura was waiting for me outside with crossed arms and a slightly irritated expression.

"I told you to be faster!"

"I tried."

She ignored me and took her bag from the table. I followed her and we soon went out of the apartment.

The fast food restauraunt we were going to eat at was not too far from where Yura lived, so we only walked from her apartment to there. It didn't take long for us to finish our food and we headed to the nearby arcade right after we were done at the restauraunt.

"And you know what he said to..." I continued to ramble to Yura as we walked towards the arcade a few blocks away.

"Oh, Yura-chan! Minami-chan."

I stopped talking and looked around for whoever called my name, but Yura was first.

"Kana-chan!" I looked in her direction to the left where Kana was waving to us from across the street. The walking sign turned green after that and she jogged over to us.

"Where are you guys going?"

Yura pointed to the right, where we were heading, "The arcade over here."

"Oh, I see. I went with Rikuo, Kiyotsugu and Maki to the movies just now, but we split up and I couldn't find them. Do you mind if I tag along with you?"

"Not at all."

My mind wandered to the topic about Rikuo and yokai which also reminded me of Itaku when she mentioned him. I wonder how they are now? I haven't seen them that much unless I was in school with Rikuo. He doesn't really talk much to me anyway.

"Earth to Minami-chan?"

"H-huh?"

"I said, do you want to get some ice cream first before we go to the arcade?"

"Oh, uh, ice cream. Right. I mean, sure."

"You okay, Minami-chan?" Kana glanced at me.

"Yeah, don't worry about it. So where is the ice cream stand?"

"Oh its over there." Kana gestured out her hand forward. I could see the small ice cream stand in the distance. We had to cross the street again to the other side if we wanted to get there. It would be good to take my mind off from things.

Kana and Yura started to chat to each other as we waited for the sign to turn green again although there were very few cars on the road today.

All of the sudden, my body turned numb and whatever Yura and Kana were talking about sounded mute to my ears.

W-what...?

I didn't even notice my body move on its own towards the currently empty road until I saw my feet moving in front of me.

No! Stop! I'm going to get hit by a car!

I tried to go against the movement of my arms, but I was powerless against it. My mind panicked and my heart was beating rapidly. I was so confused; I had no idea what was going on.

Yura noticed me walking on the road and she yelled out to me but it all sounded muffled. I couldn't understand what was happening to me.

Suddenly, my senses cleared up but it was too late.

"MINAMI-!!!"

The sound of the loud honk was all I could hear next and the sound of my own bones cracking as I flew from where I was standing just a few moments ago.

I was dead.