Chapter Thirty-Three

Ben and Kyle waited until it was dark before they emerged from the storage shed where they had been hiding. Their foggy breath dissipated in the freezing air as they cautiously snuck through the backyards, retracing their steps until they eventually reached their house.  

"You see anything?" Kyle asked. 

"Nah, nothing, I think we're clear." 

Continuing past their house, they showed up at their neighbour's backdoor. Kyle gave a couple light knocks and then took a few steps back. Gladys answered promptly and opened the door with delight.  

"What are you two boys doing outside with just those flimsy sweaters? Please come inside before you two catch a cold." 

Ben and Kyle gratefully stepped inside. 

"Is there a problem with the front door?" Gladys asked. 

"It's a long story," Ben said through chattering teeth. 

"Let me fetch you boys some blankets, and put on a pot of tea. Are you hungry?" she asked. "I can heat up some leftovers."  

"That would be great, thanks." 

"What was all that commotion earlier? It sounded like someone setting off fireworks." 

"Actually they were gunshots," Ben said. 

"Gunshots?" she repeated. "Oh my, this neighbourhood just isn't what it used to be." 

"I think the neighbourhood is fine, Gladys. It wasn't gang related or anything like that. There were two men after us... well, after me." 

"Heavens, why were they after you?" 

"I'm not sure," Ben said. "Was Mr. Gringer involved with anything that would have two goons show up at his house?" 

"Charles? No, of course not. He was a kind man and as far as I know he wasn't involved with anything like that?" 

"Did he owe anyone any money or..." Ben stopped. 

"What is it?" Kyle asked. 

"Do you think those men were after his lotto winnings?" 

"I doubt it," Kyle responded. "If they thought you won the lottery, why would they want to kill you? It just doesn't make sense." 

"Whoever they were, it's a matter for the police," Gladys said as she got up to make a call. 

"Gladys," Ben called out. "I would prefer if you did not get the police involved. I... I just don't know if I can trust the police." 

"What on earth are you talking about? Of course you can trust the police." 

"The police are just people and people are corruptible. I think for now I'd like to just lay low for a while and figure out someplace safe we can go." 

"You boys are welcome to stay here as long as you like, that is if you don't mind sharing a bedroom with each other. There's a spare room upstairs, I'll put on some fresh linens and give you boys some towels." 

"Thank you, we really appreciate it." 

"If you need to do laundry, I can put a load on as well." 

Ben and Kyle stayed at the house and exchanged stories with their elderly neighbour until it was time for bed. She had lived a fascinating life and had a lot of wisdom to impart. To show their gratitude, they offered to do any chores that needed to be done. Eventually, Gladys showed the boys to their room and said a prayer with them.