"It would have been so much fun!"

"Survival-style group battle with food as the grand prize?" Erin raised an eyebrow.

"At least it wouldn't be boring."

"...true."

They moved forward, Olivia, Frederick and Matthias quickly heading for the tables with food on it. Erin started to follow them, but halted as Gerald stood in front of her and formally bowed.

"Please marry me."

Erin laughed. "We're already engaged."

"Oh, right. Sorry." He grinned. "Force of habit. May I have this dance?"

She placed her hand in his, unable to hold back a happy smile. "I'd love to."

Frederick watched with Matthias and Olivia as their friends danced in the center of the room. He felt a small sense of relief as Erin and Gerald moved, seeing only each other. They were smiling brightly, a sight that was fairly rare with everything that had happened recently.

"Those two are so romantic! I hope this night goes well for them. " Olivia sighed.

Shaking his head, Frederick turned to the table and grabbed a glass of punch. "Great, you jinxed it. Now something terrible is going to happen for sure."

"Pessimist."

"I prefer 'negatively oriented realist'."

"You are so..." Olivia's words were interrupted by Matthias, who after being silent the entire evening finally spoke up.

"Who are the two standing beside that girl who hates Erin?"

Olivia paused, turning her head to look in the direction he pointed. "Who, Wilhemina? She's just a bully. I don't recognize those two boys though."

Frederick looked as well, concerned. Matthias didn't typically speak without reason. Two young men, well dressed, wealthy appearing, stood to either side of the blond girl. They were chatting idly, bored frowns on their faces. Frederick shook his head, he didn't recognize them either. "Is there something wrong with them?"

"They're watching Erin too closely."

He didn't hesitate. "Let's move closer than."

The group walked slowly around the room, coming close enough to hear the loud conversation between Wilhemina and her two guests.

"...honored to have two young nobleman from the House of Klien to join us for the yearly formal! I'm just so sorry about the type of trash they let into the party." She sighed, pointedly looking over at the area where Erin and Gerald were dancing. "They just let anyone in these days."

One of the boys stared at Erin, his eyes narrowing.

"Isn't that General Roderick's daughter?"

The other boy scoffed. "Heard she was a useless cast off."

"One of the worst in our school." Wilhemina confirmed with a smirk.

The first paused at that. "That wasn't what I heard. I thought she was part of the winning team at the international competition. She took first place in the individual fighting category. Can't be that weak."

"Well, umm..." Wilhemina looked uncomfortable. "By 'worst' I don't mean strength. Of course she can fight, like the brutish low-brow person she is. We call her that because she's cheating on her fiancé."

That got their attention. "Really now?"

"Yeah!" Wilhemina pointed to the corner of the room, where Christopher stood, surrounded by a group of people. "Her fiancé is an ambassador from Merion, but she ignores that and flaunts her relationship with another boy publically."