Chapter Twenty-One

KIRIN

“Kirin...” the whisper, sifted through the glade. Gray tried to track its origin. He glanced to the sword. It had returned to its normal silvery sheen. He snatched it, clutching it in both hands. There was a rustle and he twisted.

There, standing at the edge of the woods, was a woman.

She had a slender frame, and wore a simple black dress. It more than hinted at her lean body. She stood coolly. His eyes panned up, taking in her raven black hair and then her face. She was beautiful.

“Hello, Kirin.” Her voice was as familiar as a lover.

Gray shook his head and stepped back. “I’m sorry. Do I know you?” He gripped his sword tighter.

“You don’t remember me?”

He searched her face. “I’m sorry,” he admitted at last. “How do I know you?”

She stepped closer. Gray raised his sword and its sheen flared bright for a moment.

“Really, Kirin? You would harm me? Have you changed that much?”

Danger, a voice warned. “Stay back,” he said, more bluntly.

She bit her bottom lip. “I’m not armed. See for yourself,” she turned full circle, showing off her perfect curves. The dress was even more form fitting in the back. “No?” Fine then. You always were stubborn.” Confidently, she reached down and pulled back her skirt to expose her thigh and its flawless pale skin, higher and higher.

“Enough!” he shouted at last, throwing out a hand, then more calmly, “Just... stay there.”

She looked up, dropping the skirt. “I’m not armed, Kirin,” she said. “And you should know I would never hurt you.”

The simple name struck a chord. “Why do you keep calling me that? That’s not my name.”

“I see. What do you call yourself now then?”

“My name is Gray.”

“Interesting.” Again, she said the words as if he were playing a game. It was infuriating.

“And yours?” he asked.

“Vera,” she replied. “As always.”

He shrugged. “Sorry, it doesn’t ring any bells. Your face is familiar, that much I’ll admit.”

“If my face is familiar, I’m curious why your eyes are spending so much time on the rest of me.”

“What do you want?” he asked, changing the subject and raising his sword.

Vera took a step forward, slowly, assuredly, and then another. “To talk,” she said.

He followed the fluid sway of her hips. She took another step, and the tip of his sword pressed against her pale throat. A pinpoint of blood formed. He hesitated and Vera pressed the sword away. “See? That’s not so bad.”

“Who are you?”

“Who are you is the better question?” Vera said. “What happened to your memory?”

“I... I lost it.”

“Curious... I wonder how... I suppose you don’t remember that as well?”

He shook his head. “Only bits and pieces. It happened several years ago.”

“I see,” Vera said. “Well then, I’m a friend of yours from another life. We were very close in fact.” Truth rang in her voice. She knew about him.