~Hazel~

I took Nick's advice and bought a dark dress. I had gone shopping with Opal and Ollie to get a dress early this morning.

I was torn between a hunter green and a deep purple. I decided on the deep purple, and paired it with nude pumps.

I never wear heels so I knew I was going to struggle.

My makeup was simple and my hair was up in a curly, loose bun.

I push my glasses up the bridge of my nose as I study myself in the mirror.

I never dress up like this, it's new. But I have to admit that I look beautiful.

The dress isn't my type, it shows a lot of skin, but I thought I would give Nick a little tease. Not that anything would happen, but it's always fun to watch a guy struggle all night. Especially a guy like Nick. He may not be interested in me, but he can't resist a little bit of skin.

The dress went to just above my knees and had a halter top, the front was covered in sequins and the back was open with a huge bow at the top. The skirt part was flowey but not to flouncy.

I look from my purple polished toes peeking out of my shoes, all the way up to my hazel eyes hiding behind my black rimmed glasses.

My mouse brown hair was falling on my face in loose curls, and the back was up in a loose bun. It was presentable but still me.

I rub my sweaty palms on my legs and take a deep breath, preparing myself for what's to happen tonight.

I really hoped that the investors like the project. Nick and I spent a long time on that. I don't know what will happen if he loses his investors.

He could fire me, and then how can I take care of Ollie's medical bills? Or pay for Opal to finish college?

I needed this job. I couldn't let them down.

"Hazel! The limo is here to pick you up!" My sister yells from the living room.

"Okay I'm coming!" I shout back

Who needs a limo? Certainly not me. I don't want to cause a scene and showing up in a limo definitely is not seen in my neighborhood.

I swing open the front door after saying goodbye to Ollie and Opal, and step into the cool New York air. Paul, Nick's chauffeur, stands by the door to the limo.

As I get closer he opens it allowing me to slide in. He shuts the door behind me once I'm situated.

I take my time to look around the limo, the leather seats and the champagne glasses were all new to me.

Paul puts the divider down to speak to me.

"Ms. Richmond, Mr. Knight has given me orders to supply you with the finest champagne and a present that he bought"

"Just Hazel please, and what do you mean a present?"

"Sorry Ms. Hazel. It's in the cup holder."

"Thank you Paul"

Paul nods briefly before putting the divider back up.

I slide across the seat towards the cup holders, and sure enough there's a small navy velvet box. I slowly open it to reveal the gorgeous diamond earrings.

I sit stunned. There was no way these were real. He wouldn't spend this much money on his PA. Would he?

"We're here Ms. Hazel" Paul's voice says from next to me.

I turn my attention to him not realizing he had parked and opened my door again.

I quickly slide out and thank Paul, before making my way in to the enormous mansion before me.

The outside garden was beautiful, it was filled with roses, Lilly's, tulips, and carnations. There was an exquisite marble fountain sitting in the middle of the gardens.

The front of the house was just as appealing. It was all white with black trim and shutters, as well as a big black door. White pillars surround the mansions front, and windows adorn the walls.

I slowly make my way up the stone steps before stepping inside.

The smell of scotch and money invaded my senses.

I did not belong here. Everyone was so rich and you could tell by the way they presented themselves.

I grab a glass of champagne off the tray of a passing waiter as I make my way into the main ballroom where the charity event is being held.

The pristine walls were covers in 19th century art, and displays of many historic figures. There was Napoleon, Ghandi, and President Lincoln. A huge glass chandelier hung from the ceiling in the middle of the room.

Nick catches my attention as I continue to survey the room.

He looked so handsome dressed in his black suit. His hair was slicked back and the red tie he wore brought out the heat in his eyes.

I make my way over to him when I'm suddenly cut off by a brunette girl. She was wearing a tight red dress and high red heels. She matched him perfectly.

"Miss?" A voice calls causing me to draw my attention away from Nick.

I look around until I spot a tall muscular man standing next to me.

"I'm sorry I was zoned out. Did you say something?"

A deep, raspy chuckle escapes his full lips. His deep brown eyes lit up when he smiled.

"I was asking if you wanted another round?" He asks, motioning towards my empty glass in my hand.

"Oh yeah, I'd love one."

He smiles at me, then waves a waiter over to order two more flutes of champagne.

"What company are you here with?"

"Um Knight Tech"

His face lights up.

"You work for Nicky? How's that working out?"

I shrug as I grab the flute from the waiter.

"Knowing Nick he'll treat you good. Pretty ladies are his Kryptonite."

I scoff.

"Please I am so not Nick's type"

"So he hasn't tried anything on you?"

I shake my head.

"Nope"

"Well in that case. Can I take you out to dinner sometime this week?"

"I don't know, I don't normally go out with men I just met" I say with a smirk

"Where are my manners. I'm Jordyn Montgomery" he says with a small bow.

I can't help but giggle.

"Nice to meet you Jordyn. I'm Hazel"

"Ah, a beautiful name for a beautiful girl"

A blush appears on my cheeks as I look into his eyes.

"So, about that dinner?" He asks

I glance over in Nick'a direction. And my heart sinks. He was making out with the brunette from before. He had her pushed against the wall and his hands were all over her body.

I didn't know why I was so disappointed. I knew I didn't stand a chance with someone like Nick Knight. But a part of me also thought I was different. He bought me a dress, earrings, and he's taken me to dinner three nights in a row this week.

But I was just another distraction for him. It didn't mean anything. And I hate myself for thinking it might.

I turn back to Jordyn and plaster a smile on my face.

"I'd love to go to dinner"