12| Tristitia

Rome's POV:

"Rome, as much as I love this," Zeke breathed out, "and as much as I would want to continue doing this...Someone's been knocking on the door for the last minute."

I pulled back from him, my lips still tingling. "I know, but we can just ignore it." I started to lean in again when he put his hands on my shoulders and pushed me back slightly.

"Come on Romeo," He got up, and started to dust his pants. His back turned to me as he neared the door. "We have plenty of time for this, and more..." He added.

"More?" I repeated, my eyebrow raising and a smiling appearing as I watched the back of his neck get red.

He turned on his heel, his eyes ever so wide.

"Listen here miss ma'am-"

"Miss ma'am?" 

"Yes, listen here. You weren't supposed to hear that." He pointed his finger at me before turning and opening the door. 

A smile appeared on my face as I watched him reach for the doorknob.

Upon opening the door, we both saw Valentine standing there with the same unemotional face he always had, and a small man by his side. I narrowed my eyes at him as I realized he was a member of the council. Zeke came by my side once more, him being equally confused as I could tell he recognized the man. His hand fell into my line of sight and I took it and lifted myself up.

"It took you both five minutes to open the door," Valentine stated, 

I rolled my eyes, "We can make it six if you walk right back out."

Valentine ignored my remark and stepped into the throne room, he brought two fingers up and signaled for the man behind him to enter as well.

"Rome, I know that you're upset about losing the throne," Valentine started as he got closer, "but don't worry, we'll make sure you get it. Soon."

I scoffed, "How? It's not like I can just kill him." 

Valentine made a face, "You can't but..."

My eyes widened, "Valentine, you are not killing him! I could never have you as my advisor then." I reasoned as I stepped closer, "Absolutely not, that's pure insanity," I turned my head, "Isn't it Ezekiel?"

He was looking down at his hands which he had contorted to spell out something, I furrowed my eyebrows at him and he snapped his head up. A joyful smile on his face as he held up his hands. 

"It spells BLOOD!" He exclaimed, "You know cause you guys are vampires."

I blinked, "Are you flashing gang signs?"

He stopped and dropped his hands, "Who's asking?"

Valentine grabbed me by my shoulders and turned me to face him, "I'm not killing him either," His eyes lifted and he looked at the man he brought into the room, "This is where you come in, Theodore."

The man nodded, with a tight-lipped smile. "Lady Rome," He acknowledged me with a small bow of his head. "We have, a plan of sorts..." His eyes quickly glanced back to Val.

"What kind of plan?"

He sighed, and began to walk towards the throne with a sad smile dressed upon his old features, "King Vincent was quite the ruler, fair, just, honest," He listed and my fists formed at my sides, "But that was some time ago, now has each year seems to pass us by like mere seconds he's grown unfair, unjust but even more bolder with his honesty."

"Yeah, he's got a big mouth." Zeke butted in.

The man gave him an unamused look and kept talking.