Richy The Rat

Maya Rivers
-at the club

"You don't have many girl friends do you?" Brian asks me. "No actually I have zero, I guess jay is kinda feminine sometimes" I giggle nudging jay. I was between jay and Romell and all of Shawn's friends were here too, Shawn was opposite me.

We didn't talk. He simply let go of my hand and began getting ready and not a word was mumbled apart from "Ready?" In which I replied "Hmm".

And that's all.

"Your tequila shots" the bartender winks at me. "Do you have a twitch?" I ask leaning forward, all the boys snigger. "What?" He asks.

"Your eyes did this thing. Maybe go to a doctor, thanks for the shots..." I look down at his name tag. "Derick" I grin then move back. The bartender walks away scoffing and everyone laughs.

"Jesus, I need Maya on tequila every night" Matt chuckles.

I grab a shot, okay three shots for myself and take them down like a champ. "Maya slow it down, we've been here an hour and you're three shots away from being wasted" Romell says.

"Alright dad" I roll my eyes and take another shot. "Now I'm two shots away" I chuckle.

I watch as everyone starts talking, I'm sorta sat here observing awkwardly. Damn I need more girlfriends.

Then I stand up pulling my skirt up, I wore a red lace bodysuit and tight black skirt with heel. "What are you doing?" Jay asks. "I'm bored" I shrug. "Excuse me" I go past the boys when Brian grabs my arm back.

"Where are you going?" He asks. I look back meeting eyes with Shawn but he looks away.

"To dance, anyone wanna join?" I look around at the table. "Shawn?" I ask hopefully.

"Shawn" I call him but he stays looking down at his phone. I look at Jon and he pats Shawn making him look up at me.

"Dance with me please" I ask nicely. "Maya just sit down" he sighs. "Come on Shawn, I'm bored"

"You asked to come here" Shawn shrugs. "Okay and I'm bored. Just come dance with me" I roll my eyes. He ignores me going back on his phone.

I look around at the boys and shrug them off turning around for the dance floor. My hands go in the air and I begin rocking my hips to the random bass music. "You're so pretty!" Some girl screeches.

"So are you" I grin at the blonde. "Just gonna grab a drink" I dance over to the bar grabbing the waiters attention. "Can I please have a Cosmo" I smile.

"One cosmo for the pretty lady" he smiles. I wait looking around and a guy wearing a white shirt walks over to me. "Hi" a man with lovely blue eyes says. "Hello" i reply.

"Miss, your Cosmo" I turn grabbing the glass. "It's on me" he hands his card over. "So why are you alone?" He asks leaning against the oak.

"My boyfriend doesn't love me- woops I mean I'm not alone, that table of guys are my friends, the one on his phone, the super cute one is my boyfriend, you know the one that doesn't love me" I say quickly sipping my drink.

"Oh wow, who wouldn't love you" he chuckles. "Him" I laugh. "Sorry about that" he suddenly stops laughing. "It's okay, it's not like I said it twice and he didn't say it back and now I'm hiding my heartbreak behind this really cute outfit and alcoholic beverages" my voice cracks and I take another drink.

"He didn't say anything?" He asks. "Nope" I shake my head.

"Sounds rough, I'm Tom by the way" he puts his hand out.

"Maya Rivers" I shake his head. "You from here?" I ask him. "No actually I go to Princeton, I'm majoring in biology" he tells me.

"Woah smart boy. That's so far, why are you in Canada?" I ask. "Boys trip, we have a week off" he shrugs.

"You wanna meet my friends?" I ask him. "Sure, maybe I can talk some sense into this boy who doesn't love you" he chuckles. "Maybe, you do go to Princeton, you must be on the debate team" I tease him.

"How'd you know?" He grins. "Wait are you?" I ask. "I actually am"

"Woah and I'm a psychic" I chuckle as we approach the table.

"Guys this is Tom, I met him somewhere between dancing and getting a Cosmo. He's very clever right Tom" I look up at him.

"Nice to meet you guys" Tom looks around. He gets an assortment of welcomes. We sit down and then suddenly Shawn's comes behind me putting an arm around me.

"So we take the DNA out of the rat and put it under the microscope-"

"Did you name the rat?" I blurt. "He was Richy-"

"Richy the rat!" I exclaim. "Yes" he nods chuckling.

"Did you hurt him?" I ask. "No he's alive today, has about four kids and a wife" he laughs. "Well I must meet him" I giggle.

"Maya you wanna go?" Shawn mumbles in my ear. "Tell me more, do you have fancy friends?" I ask.

"Maya babe, come on you're drunk" Shawn takes my drink and doesn't let Tom speak.

"You haven't spoken to me the whole night and I'm fine" I take my drink back.

"We need to go Maya" he takes my drink again. "Give it" I take it back. "Maya don't be stubborn" he grits. "Stubborn? I'm not. Leave me alone Shawn you don't even love me" I turn around taking my drink.

"Maya" I hear him sigh. I stare forward and blink away my tears.

"Hmm" I ask not looking. "Please just come home with me" he places a hand on my leg.

"Go Maya, he might talk to you" Tom sighs. "He won't say he loves me though. See you around Tom" I stand up. "Can I have your number?" He asks.

I nod taking his phone and put my number in. "Have fun at your fancy school tom" I give him a hug then turn to Shawn.

Why was I following? I'm a fool that's why.

Shawn takes my hand and we walk out the club and get in his car silently. "So you took me out of there to not speak to me?" I scoff.

"I don't know what to say Maya. I'm taking you home, we can sleep and talk when you're sober" he huffs and starts driving away.