Vikklan- Lockdown

Lachlan's P.O.V.

Vikk sighed and threw around the soccer balls, kicking them around even though we were meant to be packing them up before we could go to our lunch period. We had been talking and giggling together in class when we weren't supposed to and as punishment we had to pack everything up as punishment.

It wasn't as if we minded, it was extra time for us to hang out together and be idiots without the teachers around, strengthening our friendship and bringing us even closer. Vikk threw a bag into the cupboard, not even trying to get it onto the shelf where it was supposed to be and then flopped onto the ground, pouting like a child.

"Why did we have to pack the gear up?" He whined, rolling over onto his stomach. "Coach can suck my dick."

I raised an eyebrow and continued to chuck stuff into the cupboard, not even wanting to comment on what he had just said. He hated the coach, our gym teacher, with everything he had in him because he constantly picked on Vikk for being smaller and less athletic than all of the others.

Vikk was just about to speak up again when a loud bell blocked his words and his eyes met mine.

"We are on lockdown. Head to the nearest classroom and lock the door." Vikk rolled his eyes and got up, going back to packing up. Both of us thought it was a drill, they would tell us if it was a real lockdown and we had heard rumours of a drill earlier in the day so neither of us paid much attention, even though the bell was still screeching overhead.

We were so far away from the classrooms that Vikk and I didn't hear the other students evacuating, leaving everything behind as they fled onto the field and out into the street, fleeing from the man with the gun firing through the halls.

But still Vikk and I didn't know what was going on, we were naively packing up the gym equipment with no care in the world and no idea what was happening just a few building away from us. Vikk was still laughing and joking, making terrible puns and throwing stuff at me occasionally, but he didn't hear the shots. Neither did I.

The bell eventually faded out and I shrugged, helping Vikk drag a huge spongy mat into the cupboard. I was tired and just wanted to go to lunch and I was just about to go and grab my bag when I froze.

Crack!

The sound of bullets echoing off metal made me freeze. I knew what the sound was at once despite the fact I had grown up in Australia with not so lax gun controls and I knew Vikk did too, even though he had grown up in England.

"Were those shots?" He whispered, turning towards the door. I nodded, petrified.

Crack, crack!

They were right outside the gym, firing only a dozen or so metres away from Vikk and I, trapped in the gym with no way other than the front. Both the main door and the fire exit lead right to where the shooter was and the only option for us was the sports equipment cupboard.

"Vikk! The cupboard!" I whisper-screamed, tugging on his hand and pulling him into the cupboard. I didn't realise until much later that we had left our bags in full view in the middle of the gym, giving the shooter the biggest clue ever that we were there.

The two of us scrambled into the cupboard and both of us realized at the same time that there was really nowhere to hide because of the layout of the room. The room was literally a square with shelves around the walls and as we heard shots only a few metres away we scrambled underneath the fat blue mats that we had just been dragging into the cupboard.

Vikk pulled on my hand and we crawled behind the mats, slipping between two to try and hide ourselves from the man that could take our lives. I was trembling, my jaw locked and my teeth clenched and every time there were another shot I flinched, covering my head instinctively.

I looked over at Vikk in the dark, he was shaking and his eyes were wide and scared, making him look like a young child who didn't know what was going on. He shuffled closer to me and after a second of hesitation I wrapped my arms around him, pulling him into my chest.

"It'll be okay, it'll be okay..." I whispered, trying to reassure himself as well as me that we would be okay. I felt his hands curl into fists around my t-shirt, him shuffling closer to me as we heard the door of the gym slam open and several shots were fired into the room.

"Lachlan..." He whispered, looking up at me in dim light. Another shot went off and both of us held our breaths, so quiet that we could hear the mans footsteps in the room next door. "I'm scared."

"I know you are." I whispered back, closing my eyes.

The footsteps got closer. Barely metres away now.

"I love you Vikk." I breathed, leaning over and pressing my lips against his, one last desperate attempt to finally tell him that I love him.

"I love you too Lachlan." He said back, wiping away the tears that were falling down my cheeks with his thumb. "I'm sorry we won't be together for long."

My eyes flickered closed just as the footsteps got within a metre of us and Vikk reached over to squeeze my hand, his head resting against my chest. We were so close that I could feel his breathing and the hitch in his chest when the mattress was pulled off us.

"Found you..." Came the teasing and deathly voice. "Did you really think you could hide?"

I didn't hear the gun go off twice, two shots in our direction.

I didn't hear Vikk's scream of pain as the bullet entered his chest.

I didn't feel the bullet enter my own head.

I didn't feel the blood staining my face and hair, warm and sticky.

I didn't feel the pain.

The one thing I did hear the unforgiving laugh as the man walked away, barely caring that he had just killed two boys, helpless and broken, curled underneath a mattress in a desperate attempt to hide.

He didn't care that he killed us.

-----------------------------------------------------------

"Vikk?" I asked, barely feeling him lean into me. "You right?" He nodded.

He gently placed his hand on his chest and winced, resting his head against my shoulder. The scar from the bullet was still there despite the fact that we were both dead, a remainder of our painful deaths at the end of a gun even though we didn't even want to think about them.

There was still an indent on the side of my head from where the bullet hit me, a little bump in my head that was in the perfect shape of a bullet. I occasionally played with the little bump absentmindedly when I wasn't think about what I was doing.

I leaned over and kissed his forehead, watching as a tiny smile reached his lips. We had all the time in the world now to recover, to live our lives to the fullest because we had no limitations, no restrictions, no nothing to stop us from being who we were.

"I love you, you know." He smiled.

"I know that Lachy, you don't need to tell me that everyday." I tilted his head towards me and kissed his lips, feeling him kiss back fiercely and passionately.

"I will. I will tell you that I love you every goddamn second of every goddamn day because I do. I love you so much." I saw his flushed face and realised that my sentence had had its desired effect.

"Fine, I love you too." He finally whispered, kissing my lower jaw. "I love you too."