For the Good Times

Although Grant had wanted to take Nathalie out on a proper first date, she suggested to have dinner at his place instead. At first, it perplexed him, but he eventually convinced himself that cooking dinner at his place would be as equally romantic and more intimate than a restaurant. He asked what she'd prefer to eat and she nonchalantly replied: anything.

Her response meant more online recipe choices to read through, but after a good hour, he decided on Chicken Parmigiana with pasta. He forgot to ask her if she had any food allergies. Luckily, while buying items the next day, he found out that she didn't.

The dining area was professionally prepared like a fancy restaurant. A dimming of the lights throughout the apartment created a more romantic ambience as a glow emanated from the candles on the table. When Nathalie arrived that evening, her eyes curiously scanned the setting. Bright and starry golden glimmers from the candlelights danced around her dark-brown eyes. Flickering as suddenly as the various emotions subtly expressed on her features.

For a moment, he wasn't certain if he had perceived anger amongst those emotions, swimming within her somewhat tense smile? She nervously sat on the chair. The words briefly escaping her. Until she suddenly renewed herself into a more relaxed state that shifted into a determined confidence as the night progressed. He didn't expect her to stay overnight and quietly chuckled to himself the morning after, thinking that he should've also looked at breakfast recipes.

This went on for three months. His feelings kept growing for her at an uncontrollable and accelerated rate. Yet, uncertainty warred within him, as Nathalie only chose to see him at his apartment. Not wanting to push her before she was ready, he continuously swallowed down the doubt. But he couldn't help it anymore.

Dawn was just breaking through the horizon when he turned onto his side and gazed at her. Her head comfortably sunk into the fluffy ivory-colored pillow while she slept. Beneath her eyelids, her eyes moved erratically, causing their lashes to slightly twitch and vibrate. A faintly brilliance settled upon her face, slowly brightening along with the morning sky.

He gently touched her face and placed a soft lingering kiss on her forehead. Through half-closed eyes, she shifted out of her dreamy state and languidly smiled at him. They quickly opened as she peered at him beaming above her.

"Good morning." He leaned in and whispered into her ear.

She yawned and muttered. "Morning. What time is it?"

"Time to get up." His voice came out hoarse.

As he gathered the plates and dropped them into the sink, he released a drawn out sigh. "I was thinking that maybe we can go out on a real date?" He asked without looking at her.

"What's wrong with the ones we've been having?"

"Well, they're nice, but they aren't exactly dates now, are they?"

"I don't think it's a good idea."

He whipped his head to her. "It's been three months since we started seeing each other. Why not?"

"No." She slid off the stool and went to gather her things.

He followed her. "It's just going out—outside, for once."

She slumped her shoulders. "I wish it were that easy."

"I don't want to be pushy, but I'm kind of feeling like you're afraid to be seen with me?" His eyes widened. "You're not married ... are you?"

Her head bobbed to the side. "No! You crazy or something? How the hell could I be married and see you this often? Dude would have to be stationed overseas or in a coma!"

Relief washed over him. "Thank goodness."

"But, yes ... I'm afraid."

He stared at her incredulously and crossed his arms. "Wow! Thanks?"

"Not the way you think. Afraid if my family finds out, that they're not gonna accept 'this'."

"I'm not asking them to go out. And what exactly is this to you? A fling? Because I don't want that."

"Lord! You're gonna keep bringing it up, aren't you?"

He nodded resolutely and with a stubborn expression.

She groaned. "Just give me some time."

"At least that's better than just no."

Nathalie was conflicted. Everyday, she considered his request. She thought if she could try to detach herself from emotions and just have fun, things would remain uncomplicated. Telling herself frequently that after some time he'd tire of her or they'd eventually go their separate ways. Unfortunately, she started having feelings for him.

Two weeks had passed and although Grant didn't pressure her for an answer, she limited contact with him. A wretched knot twisted in her stomach, growing unbearably the more she stayed away. She realized that she missed him terribly. It was a revelation that was simultaneously liberating and frightening for her. Finally, she agreed.

They walked down Sunset Boulevard after eating lunch at a local restaurant, hand in hand and casting glances at one another. Grant had a permanent boyish grin plastered onto his face. She rolled her eyes at him, but couldn't help smiling at his endearing qualities. The smile was swiftly replaced with a frown as she swiveled her head around.

"What's wrong?" His voice oozed with concern.

She waited, until she could locate the source of her distress before answering him. "We're being watched by a patrol car across the street."

"Where??"

"No! Don't look!" She huffed and hung her head.

He squinted in the direction of the patrol car.

"Aw, Hell!" She shook her arms. "Guess it was bound to happen, but this is exactly why I wanted to avoid going out! Give me a moment, while I regain my cool and figure this out."

**********************

***[948], [8,013]

This one had to be shorter, needed the extra word count for the next chapter.

Also, forgot to tag ChrissyMReau81 for all the soap opera information, thank you very much!***