The Beast (19)

I lay on the floor, in a pool of my own  blood, my breathing coming out in short, scattered pants with my wild, tangled hair a mess, dripping with the thick red liquid.

I resisted the urge to heave all of the contents of my stomach out onto the floor, the smell overpowering my nose. Metallic, horrid....

He smirked at the gruesome sight in front of him.

The tears slowly trickled down my face...

"Tsk, tsk, tsk..." He hissed under his breath, nudging at my calloused hands with the tip of his pointed shoe. "Now look at that."

I let out a scream when his hand took a hold of my hair, pulling me up and dragging me to the corner where a full-length mirror stood, cracked at the bottom where evidence of dry blood could be seen at the corners...

Blood...

My blood...

I struggled to get out of his strong grip as he placed me roughly in front of the mirror, an inch away from slamming my head into the cool surface. My heart stopped in my chest as more tears sprung into my eyes....

His grip on my hair tightened drastically. "Look, little girl..." His hand slowly reached out to trace the evident cracks on the mirror in front of us, his ruby eyes piercing my wide, fearful ones. "Look and see how pathetic you are... How useless.... How weak.... How unworthy you are of any love. This blood, your body, your soul is a mere speck of dust beneath the feet of even the lowest of the low. You.... are nothing."

Nothing... Nothing...

That word stung me the most, making me reach out to the bloody mirror to touch my horrid reflection. Freaky orange hair, dull lifeless eyes, a horrid face to accompany an ugly, worthless soul, bathed in the blood of the sinner herself. It all amounts to me, it all amounts to nothing.

I was nothing....

Sobs racked my body as I desperately rubbed at my face, wiping away the blood, the sweat, the tears as I crumbled pathetically in his hands, realizing the truth behind his words....

I didn't deserve anything....

I deserve nothing.

"I'm worthless." My voice was scratchy, my throat raw and I clawed at my reflection, my tiny hands smearing thick blood all over the surface. This only seemed to fuel his amusement even more.... yet I couldn't find myself to care. He was right...

His dark, satisfied grin in the reflection widened, his eyes glinting dangerously with satisfaction at my proclamation. "Yes... worthless... You are worthless, little Raine." He encouraged me, his icy voice coating the truth in such a way that had a part of me breaking down....

He slowly wrapped his arms around me, bringing me into his cold, frightening embrace but all I could do was stare numbly at my reflection... My stupid reflection that showed all my faults, all my flaws, my unwanted existence....

"But to me, my little Raine,  you may be worthless but I would love you, I will show you love, I will give you everything that you deserve..." He leaned in, his cold breath tickling the side of my face, sending shivers of fear down my spine.

"You belong to me, little Raine. You are mine."

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What was my purpose?

I rolled over to my side, my scratched and bloody skin scraping against the rough ground. I wrapped my arms around myself, shutting my eyes as the hoot of an owl pierced the silence that I was constantly in. I savored in the sound, the first thing I have heard in quite a while other than....him.