5|Tap Out

My sadness has dissipated by morning. With a feeling of rejuvenation, I head into the shower. I am thankful for the private shower, it allows me to be alone to collect my thought for a few more moments.

Yesterday's events rush into my head as cold water hits my skin. I have to bite my lip to stop myself from crying again. I distract myself by thinking instead about the mission our group of eight are to soon complete. All of this happened so suddenly and with absolutely no warning.

I step out of the shower, not wanting to miss morning 'training'. Not knowing what to wear, I pull open the closet. Thankfully, they gave us everything we would need. Sadly though, this means there is no need for me to go back to the eighth floor.

I settle on a pair of leggings and a sweatshirt, then I pull my hair up into a ponytail. It's weird how they seem to know so much about us, including our clothing sizes.

I walk out into the hall after pulling on sneakers and head back down towards the main meeting room. Charlotte didn't tell us where we needed to go last night and the last thing I want to do is get lost.

As I walk down the hall I can feel the guards eyes on me. I feel trapped, like I'm not allowed to leave and truthfully I don't think we are. The problem must be so much worse than they are making it seem. With the combination of the rushed plans and the not allowing us to leave, it makes me think that this is their one shot at this.

I couldn't figure out why it is so urgent though, if my theory is even right. My only guess is that things aren't what they appear to be. But, who knows I could just be thinking way to much into this.

"Grab some breakfast before we start your training." It is Alonzo standing in front of me, gesturing at the meeting table full of food items. I look over it seeing luxuries I could never afford sitting on the table. I grab a plate and grab some fruit I have never tried before as well as some bread thing. It's not like level eight had nothing, we are just limited to whatever people could grow, which usually consisted of potatoes. We didn't have many of the lights that imitated the suns UV rays, so it is always hard to get much of a variety when only a few people can even grow plants.

I analyze other peoples plates for a moment, I figure we won't have much to eat on the mission and I want to see whose at risk for not liking rations the most. Though, when I look at everyone else's plates, I see them all piled high and it makes me think twice about my own. I scan the table again and settle on some meat and nuts as well.

I sit next to Jacob who is sitting to the side of the girl from agricultural whose name I've already forgotten.

"Hey Aleja." Jacob says and I squint my eyes at his short and unenthusiastic response. I haven't known this man for long, but this is not the same person I met yesterday.

"Hey." I decide to leave it be, prying into peoples lives just isn't something I enjoy doing. Before Jacob can say anything else, the leaders all come in.

"Good morning! Today we are going to begin our training for this amazing journey you will be apart of." A soft-spoken leader from the agricultural level spoke, her cheery voice sent me on the verge of annoyance.

"Each of you will follow us to the fifth floor, where you will be trained in fighting and guns for the beginning of today. Then you will each do your own separate training with your floor leader, just so we can make sure your personal skills are at top performance." She continues and I nod slightly, it is a good plan for training. I look at the other beside me, seeing completely different reactions in each. Lily looks uncertain, William and Caleb appear stoic, Kevin almost looks worried, Marcus and Sabrina look confident, and Jacob looks excited.