19

Charlie was rudely awoken the next morning by light spilling onto her lifeless body and way too much noise. She opened her eyes to see she was in a pool of her own vomit on the living room floor with too many 3-6 year olds playing around her. She rubbed her eyes and attempted to stand up but the night before hit her like a truck and she was back on the floor again, this was what made Debbie come over holding a glass of water and a pill. "Debs" Charlie said, half-smiling through her pounding headache but the girl sighed. "Fiona said I'm supposed to give you these when you wake up" she said unamused before handing them to her.

"I've had to look after you, Lip and the daycare this morning, I need a break" the girl announced before flopping onto the armchair which made the older girls eyes widened. "Shit. The daycare" she whispered, knowing she had a role to do that morning and she definitely did not fulfil it. She was quick to stand up and sober up then. "I'll just get ready and I'll supervise then, not that you even need me" she said, taking the stairs two by two and entering her room to see Lip sitting there with messy hair and  a cigarette hanging from his mouth while texting on the family phone.

"Hello sunshine" she joked while sitting next to him as he smiled. "Don't you look pretty, keep your mouth closed though, I can smell the brewery" he said with his eyes on the phone, she couldn't help but smirk back at him. "Doesn't change the fact that I feel like a bag of dicks" she said with her hands on her forehead as he shook his head. "I'll let you deal with that privately then" he said while smiling as he looked back into his phone. "Seem pretty interested in whoever that is" she said while resting her head on his bare shoulder as he shook his head. "Mercedes and Karen are blowing up my phone and we share it so obviously Debbie and Carl are seeing the messages and um....yeah" he said while rolling his eyes as she tapped his chest. "I just know Carl asked you a billion sex questions after it then, I still think your tattoo is the best thing you ever did" she said while tracing the triangle tattoo on his chest with her index finger.

"You put my name on your wrist, I couldn't let you go through with such a commitment on your own" he said through a laugh as Debbie shouted up the stairs so Charlie started getting dressed. "I told her I'd supervise" she whisper-yelled so he started pulling clothes on too and the pair darted down the stairs. "I'm here, I'm here, I'm sorry" she shouted, one hand was tying up her bun and the other was nursing her toothbrush in her mouth, she was ready to tend to some child who may have hurt themselves until Debbie pointed at the kitchen where Frank and Fiona looked deep in argument. Ian was sitting in an armchair looking smug and Mickey was lying on the kitchen counter with some man trying to fix a bullet wound on his ass. Ian was quick to stand up and walk over to her. "Mickey kissed me today" he said in a low volume as her face lit up. "Oh my gosh" she said while hugging him as they pulled away and she looked at him. "How's everything at Mel' ?" she said as he looked down. "I'm back with Kash" he said as her jaw dropped but he immediately shook his head. "Mickeys on security" he said as she nodded before going over to Lip in the kitchen. She didn't trust Kash at all and she'd be sure to tell Ian that once she dealt with all the mess downstairs.

"Alright Fiona, you helped me raise those little monkeys, I'll give you that" Frank announced as Fiona folded her arms across her chest, waiting for whatever dagger of an insult would me next. "But Charlie and Lip are severely fucked up" he then said which caused Charlie to storm over. "Charlie and Lip ?" Fiona asked with her head titled. "You have eyes don't you ? They're wild, manic they're doing love properly, it's not supposed to be easy. A police escort home is how me and Monica started" he began but the mention of him and Monica was enough for Charlie. "You're never here-" she began but he interrupted her. "Addiction. Addiction ruins things Charlie and you know that all too well. How many times have the two of you chased each other around because of what the other did when on substances because I can think of one incident" he said smugly, she knew what he was talking about. The bridge with Cadence. "Addiction will ruin what you two have" he continued and seeing how upset Charlie was about to get, Lip stormed over. "You'd know all about that wouldn't you Frank ?" he said as Frank shook his head. "Why are you even here Frank ?" Charlie said as Ian walked over. "Why's everybody yelling ?" he shouted over a screaming Mickey as an argument broke out between him and Frank about addiction which led to Frank headbutting him.

Silence fell upon them then until Lip punched Frank clean in the face, grabbed Ian and led him over to man with Mickey so they could get him checked and have a cigarette to calm down. It all became too much for Charlie Cavanaugh at that moment, all the noise picked up again but everything stayed silent for her. She walked over to broom leaning against the bathroom door. The word addict had been placed on her way too much times back in New York and she wasn't going to let Frank of all people place it on her in Chicago. She walked straight over him and began beating him with the broom. She took every ounce of anger she ever felt towards anyone out on him while he tried to grab it from her. In the process of this Chase had walked in with a social worker. He was there for Ian and had just escorted the woman in from outside but had no idea he'd invited her into a house of chaos. There were children screaming in Debbies arms, the man was midway pulling the bullet out of Mickey so they were screaming, Charlie was beating Frank and a bleeding Ian was smoking with Lip in the corner.

"The fuck do you want ?" Fiona shouted clearly arrested above all the noise as Chase awkwardly coughed out the words "social worker" which snapped Charlie out of her trance and made her drop the brush. "How kind of you to stop assaulting me, a poor single father trying to live my life, maybe she should go with you" he said while walking to the fridge as Chase shook his head. "You will not, she's my kid and eighteen" he said adamantly to the social worker next to him who couldn't look more alarmed and confused if she tried. Frank grabbed a loaf of bread and a pint of milk before attempting to leave. "Are you the father of these children ?" she asked as he shrugged. "Yes and no. I don't live here" he began, trying to weasel his way out of responsibility as Charlie felt a pair of firms wrap around her shoulders. "I have to admit, you beating Frank up way pretty hot" the person whispered before pressing a kiss on her cheek and she smiled. "If you had punched him a second time though, you'd have had him" she said through a laugh as Ian walked over and Charlie just wrapped her arm around him as she rested his head on her shoulder, they were all each-other needed.

"I'll take as many as I can" Chase announced as the social worker shook her head. "I'm sorry but-" she began as he shook his head. "No I'm sorry but it's not that hard. Charlie's my daughter, she's not involved in this mess. Lip's eighteen so doesn't need a place to go, I train Ian for ROTC so it's my obligation and I can make room for the little ones" he explained as the woman took a breath. "Phillip's seventeen and will be going to a military based home with Ian, perfect for them" she said, Chase grabbed her clipboard, scanned it and sighed. "They have Lip's birthday wrong, right, okay, Fiona and I will have that changed. I'm not having this, Ian and Lip are coming with us. Carl, Liam and Debbie have a home I presume or are they going to be training for war too ?" he said as she shook her head. "I have placements lined up for them" she said while adjusting her glasses clearly not meaning to give away information. "Right, well you bet your ass Fiona and I will do everything in power to get them back since that asshole over there won't try" he said as Lip smiled.

"Asshole ? You better not be talking about me" frank said through a scoff as Chase very obviously rolled his eyes, not wanting to deal with Frank since he just wanted to make sure the children were going to be alright. "Come on Mister Army Man, G.I fucking Joe. Tell me, thinking you can waltz in here and take my kids" he shouted as Chase shook his head. "Same old Frank" he whispered as Frank raised his eyebrows.
"The same old Frank who gave you a shoulder to cry on when Lindsay whisked little Charlie off to New York and you had no one cause Seany Boy was in rehab ?" he said as Chase laughed. "You got me drunk off my ass and nearly made me loose my job and Sean-y'know what don't even talk about him. Charlie, Lip, Ian get a bag, we don't engage with shit like this" he said as Frank shook his head. "I don't trust this man with my children" he said as Fiona shook her head. "You don't live here" she shouted as Chase just sent the trio upstairs.

"What's the bet Frank and your dad are gonna have a fist fight ?" Lip asked while stuffing clothes into a backpack as she shrugged. "Depends how much Frank provokes dad" she honestly as they finished packing and Ian walked over to them. They walked down the stairs to see the three younger ones had gone and Fiona was out returning kids. All that was left  was Mickey sitting on the couch stuffing his face and flicking through the channels while Chase and Frank argued.

"Your daughters struggling with an addiction" he spat as Chase shook his head. "You don't know shit about my daughter, fuck, you don't know shit about your own, shes been raising your family while you drank away your social security checks" he fired back. The words like venom dripping off his tongue because when anyone mentioned Charlie it really pissed him off. The argument ended in Frank passing more comments about Charlie, the pair hitting the fuck out of eachother and Chase pushing the trio out with Mickey following close behind them.