~ 43 ~

The place where the portal had closed was left blackened

The place where the portal had closed was left blackened. As if scorched by flame. Yet, there hadn't been flames. Inanis found it strange. For every time he passed the spot, he felt as though someone called to him. Someone he knew.

"We can't stay here," Lumin said as the group came to hide from the battle. King Azure and Brun Emberhand continued fighting. They and the vast Anerathian army tried to hold off Anaemis' forces.

"We're cowards if we run," Spiris admonished him.

"We aren't much help to the King," Ruperto added, grunting as he dropped to the ground, panting for breath.

"But we're better use here than anywhere else," Ronell grunted; everyone was tired. Everyone needed to rest, but there was no time.

"I need to go to the Prince and Aleia," Inanis announced as he and Kinasha joined. "I should have gone with them."

Glances were exchanged; everyone knew he was right.

"I can't promise they will be where the portal opened," Arcano said as he held a canteen above his head and drenched himself in water. "But I can send you to the very place they went."

"Then do it," Inanis nodded and stood. Kinasha ran to him and kissed him.

"Return to me," she whispered as he leaned his forehead to hers.

"I promise," he whispered back.

Arcano waved his hands. A portal opened in the very place that Twileigh's had. And Inanis stepped through. What he saw shocked him.

Some distance away from where he had come out of the portal, was Auro, Aleia and Twileigh. Inanis wondered how so many hours could have passed and yet here they were. Speaking to some newcomer who walked out of the woods. Another stranger stepped out a moment later. A young woman, Inanis thought. But then, they were all leaving. Aleia and Auro were following the strangers with Twileigh between them.

Inanis wasted no time. He followed after them, but was careful not to make his presence known. Not yet. If he thought they needed him, he would reveal himself.

***

"It's not much further," Adum said, leading the strangers up the mountain trail.

"You appear troubled, cousin," Millie said as she fell in step with him.

"I suppose I thought this day would never come," he replied with a shrug.

"Well, it has. It must mean the war has returned."

Adum nodded, but said nothing more.

Twileigh sighed when she glanced behind her. At Alei and Auro. They held hands, walking close together. It was rather a sweet sight to see. And then she felt it. The tingling. Raising her hands, Twileigh looked at her fingers. They crackled and fizzled. Like the electrical currents that passed through the wires of lamps.

"Wait," she said, looking all around.

"What's the matter?" Aleia asked, standing beside her new friend.

"Inanis," Twileigh had barely breathed the name when the man in question stepped out of the woods. "How?"

"I sensed that I was needed here," he replied, glancing warily at Adum and Millie. "Arcano was able to send me to the exact location you arrived . . ."

"There's something else?" Auro asked, raising an eyebrow.

"You left hours ago," Inanis went on, breathing hard. "But when I arrived, you had just met . . ." He motioned to Adum. "I've been following you at a distance. But I am curious to know how Twileigh knew I was around."

The girl raised her hand, showing him her fingers.

"We are not much different, you and I," she said as Inanis also raised his long fingers.

"We must keep moving," Adum said, as he and his cousin turned to move forward.

Auro and Aleia started to follow. Twileigh stood in front of Inanis for a moment longer, before extending her hand to Inanis. She laughed when he eyed her fingers warily.

"It was not your fault," she said, so that only he could hear.

"What wasn't my fault?" he asked softly.

"Glint's death."

***

Spiris gasped. Kinasha jolted upright from the mat on which she was resting.

"What?" she asked, panic lacing her voice.

"He's with them," Spiris replied with a blank stare. "I've never been able to sense my brother so strongly before."

"That is good. I am glad for you both . . . Spiris, who is Twileigh?"

He shook his head. "I do not know. And yet . . . Something inside me recognizes her. Or rather, her soul. Inanis seemed to think so as well. But the explanation remains a mystery."

"Such matters are, usually. I would think anything involving the two of you always is."

"It would appear so."

Kinasha sighed and looked at the darkening sky. Explosions of fire and stone continued to hit the shield. A thought crossed her mind and she looked at Spiris.

"Did you think Twileigh's eyes reminded you of anyone?" she asked, moving closer as she lowered her voice, slightly.

"Her eyes," Spiris replied, closing his own to remember what the girl's eyes looked like. "Now that you mention it . . ."

His eyes flew open in gentle realization and confusion.

"It doesn't make sense."

"I believe it does," Kinasha explained with a small smile. "What could possibly not make sense about Aleia hosting a queen who has been gone for centuries?"

"You have me there, but . . . Could it truly be?"

"I suppose you will find out when they return."

For what seemed like the first time, Kinasha saw a new light in Spiris' eyes. 

Hope.