Chapter IV "Shopping Spree"

Thursday

"Honey, time to wake up, we're here," a voice breaks through and my eyes open and peers at a watery blue look of gentle understanding.

"Feeling better?"

"A bit," I confess, hoping she doesn't demand more.  And I am lucky, she untangles herself from me and slowly, painfully gets up and moves away.

Exiting the bus; I quickly collect my one bag and scan faces rushing around for a sign of Leah.

"Not here yet, I see".  Grabbing my phone, dialing her number; I wait , "pick up, pick up"

"Beth sweetie...traffic's a bitch today.  I'll be there in twenty," she hangs up.

"Okay...bathroom break then."

I stare into the mirror, I look like shit warmed over, a cross between a hooker and a hobo: My black mid thigh dress with its plunging necklace shows way too much cleavage, sheer tights that were torn in a couple of places, a red pair of timberland boots--and to bring it all together; a dirty grey open front hoodie and a green beanie combo--I bought for 12 bucks at a thrift store on our first stop.  Because somebody forgot to take a coat!

I point an accusatory finger at her.

"Dumb-ass." But she points back.

Dragging my bag, I leave the bus station, finding a hot dog stand, buying 'three with everything', I sit on it, eating, awaiting my only hope.

"Beth, darling"

I raise my cotton-candied head of hair to see a vision of beauty.  Fashion Model Extraordinaire - working all the fashion shows--New York, London, Milan and Paris.  Been on the covers of Vogue, Elle, Esquire, I could go on and on and on.

6 feet tall;  slim built; a perfect model body; gorgeous ebony beauty with flawless skin; short dark curls framed her face; vivid green eyes with lashes that kiss her cheeks; full lips smiling showing her perfect white teeth.

Show-stopping, everybody (males and females) takes second looks, slowing down to gap at her.  And, of course she is oblivious to the melee, dressed to the nines in a deep V fit and flare pink baby doll dress with a white cashmere jacket, wearing a pair of lace up stiletto black boots; leaning against a 2018 Lexus GS Hybrid. 

and me? am at sixes and sevens.

"Come on honey, let's get you out of here." "You need a hug?"  "Come on" She pulls me into her arms, and the scent of Viktor & Rolf's Flowerbomb caresses my senses.  

"God! Is that Flowerbomb?" I knew that fragrance anywhere, it is my favourite.  Bittersweet memories flood my mind, my first bottle was a present from Mother for my 16-year old birthday.

"You're a strange woman, aren't you?" she laughs, and takes my luggage.

"This is it? One bag Beth? Really?  This is would not do...I know...SHOPPING SPREE!"  She jumps in the driver's seat and I slowly enter the passenger side and slide into the black leather set.  The car peels out into traffic, pushing me into my seat.

"Damn!  Are you trying to get us killed?"  Leah laughs at my discomfort.  I shake my head, she's crazy.

"Leah...?"

"Yeah"

"Why are you helping me?  We hardly spoke in high school.  After graduation, you got your big modelling break, I went on to college and..."