Chapter VI ~ The Blue Ranger

After home room, Sarah pulled me aside and asked me to keep an eye on Brody. He went back to his locker which was on the other end of the hallway, but he was still in my view. "You're in five-sevenths of his classes, two of them are without the rest of us," she informed me. "We need to make sure he doesn't talk or spend any time alone with Eleanora." 

I hesitated. "But what about between classes?"

"If you're the only one of us that's around him and he begins to approach her, just pull him away. Do whatever it takes; we cannot allow him a chance to try and talk to her until we know why she's here. And we can't let him get distracted on our mission of finding out who the Purple Ranger is." (A/N :\ ) 

"Got it."

She nodded and gave me a small, sweet smile. "I'll spread the word to Hayley and Levi since they're in my next class."

I returned the smile. "And I guess Calvin will hear from me. I just need to make sure Brody doesn't suspect anything." Slowly, I broke eye contact and stared down at the magician's hat in my hands, fidgetting with it slightly. "I feel terrible keeping this secret from him. He's my best friend, after you, of course."

Her beautiful smile faded away. "I know, but it's only for the time being. I need to find out what is up with her, and only I can since I was her tour guide. I don't know why, but there's something different about her. Just not sure if it's in a good way or a bad way."

I locked eyes with her again. If I had a choice, I would've chose to stay like this for all eternity, but we had more pressing matters at hand. "You'll figure it out. No mystery remains unsolved with such an intelligent young woman as the detective," I complimented her, causing her to blush. 

As she did, she broke eye contact once again and looked over her shoulder. When she looked back at me, a slightly panicked look appeared on her face. "Oh no, I just remembered Eleanora's locker number. It's number 137."

I pieced together the predicament, and my expression quickly matched hers. "And Brody's number 136..."

We both looked in our friend's direction. Brody was still rumaging through his locker to organize it, while the girl whom I suspect is Eleanora Jenice was staring down at something in her sleek black notebook with thin luminous-purple lined-patterns were strewn across its cover. "All I remember is that she's free next period due to me needing to give her tour, but she insisted that I wouldn't," Sarah informed me, turning her head back towards me. "I'll continue showing her around to see her schedule and get closer, but you need to draw away Brody from his locker."

"Those lockers open to the right," I added. "I just need to make sure he keeps his locker open for the time being, or until he or Eleanora leaves." She nodded and we headed towards the two. 

Just when Brody closed is locker, I stood to his left in order for him to face me and not Eleanora. "Hey Brody, how ya doing?" 

He looked at me and I was finally able to see the visible struggle. His appearance was the same as it was five minutes ago, but his eyes showed all the pain bubbling inside of him. His amber eyes seemed dull and clouded with negativity, a frown tugging at his lips. "Pretty okay," he lied, plastering on an almost convincing smile. Being his best friend, I could tell the difference between his real and fake smiles. I internally sighed; when we get together with the other Rangers during lunch, we all needed to exchange a few words relating to his behavior. 

"Come on, our next subject is math," I pulled him by the arm and gently tugged him towards our next class. Discreetly, I looked over my shoulder at Sarah, who was talking with the new girl. She locked eyes with me, winked, and then went back to her conversation. I blushed lightly but brushed it off and turned back to Brody, letting go of his arm. "You seem a little off," I admitted aloud. "Mind telling me why?"