Lodestar, Chapter 42

Sophie dropped her hands from Keefe's temples, severing their mental connection. But the horrible scenes kept replaying in her mind.

"Keefe, I . . ."

There were no words.

She threw her arms around his shoulders, hugging him as tight as she could. Maybe if she never let go, she could hold the broken pieces together.

"I'm pretty sure you just ruined your shoes in a huge puddle of selkie skin," Keefe told her.

"I don't care. And you don't have to do that. You don't have to make this into a joke."

"Yes, I do."

The crack in his voice splintered through her heart, and she buried her face against his shoulder, feeling tears leak onto his cloak.

"Sorry," she mumbled. "I'm not supposed to be the one crying."

———

"Well, right now I mostly want to blast my way into that ogre prison and punch your mom as hard as I can in her snobby face. And then, when the blood's streaming from her nose, I want to give her some stupid speech about our life force and ask her if she feels powerful."

"Wow, who knew you had such a dark side?"

"Certain things bring it out. And this?" Her whole body trembled as her knotted emotions stirred—a monster ready to burst from her chest.

Keefe held her steady. "I appreciate the fury, Foster. But seriously. It's not worth it."

She knew he really meant I'm not worth it.

She hated that most of all.

"Someday I'm going to make you see how wrong you are," she promised.

"I'm just glad you're not shoving me away."

"You really thought I would?"

"Sometimes I think you'd be better off."

He tried to pull back but she refused to let go.

———

"What do you think is in there?"

"No idea. But nothing good ever comes from my mom."

"One thing did," she said. "One of my favorite things."

The cold, stinky wind rushed between them as he pulled away. "I hate to break it to you, Foster, but you have terrible taste in friends."