56~ Future

I've decided I no longer hate this room.

I'm seated in the same comfortable couch that I've sat in a hundred times. Evaluating the same neatly lined rows of certificates and awards on the wall. Except, this time, there's no resentment in my heart.

"So tell me, Scarlett, what brings you back to my office?" Dr. O'Shannon asks, resting her clipboard in her lap to offer me a forced smile.

Sighing, I fidget with mom's ring. "I'm here to finally heal."

And with that, I tell her everything. From the guilt I carried over the accident to the lasting affects of Bennett's relationship. The fear I get from being touched and the stubborn will I have to never back down.

"I was wrong to fight you. I thought it was better to ignore everything but I can't out run reality. In the end it will always come crashing down." I admit.

She looks at me for a long moment and I think she's about to announce that our session is up when she picks up her phone. "Margaret, please cancel my appointments for the afternoon."

I relax, thankful for her decision. There's still a lot more I have to let go of.

*****

After a long session of crying I feel like my soul has been ripped from my body. Then thrown through a paper shredder and finally doused in lemon juice.

But I'm happy.

Ashton tried to suggest I go home after my session but I refused. I don't want to hide in my room when there are things to be done. So now we're walking through the grocery store.

I mark things off my list as we go, double checking to make sure I haven't forgotten anything.

Ashton whistles softly to himself, pushing the cart without complaint. I eye him skeptically as I grab a roll of paper towels.

"What has you in such a good mood?" I ask, poking his side.

"Grocery shopping is fun."

I scoff, "Ashton, grocery shopping is anything but fun."

It's one of the most stressful things I've ever done and I do it once a week. If the thought of Sage picking out our food didn't absolutely horrify me, I would give him the job.

But that won't ever happen. At least, not for a while.

He shrugs, taking my hand. "Sure it is. I'm with my favorite person. Doing a task in which it's almost impossible for us to argue. I just get to watch you."

Heat creeps over my face as I blush at his words.

"It really doesn't take much to please you, does it, Charming?" I tease, forgetting all about my list.

Ashton smirks, "I mean, you certainly don't have any problems with pleasing-"

A punch to his gut shuts him up. The things that come out of his mouth. One moment it's heart melting the next it's blood boiling.

He winces, trying his best not to rub the spot as I walk ahead.

"Sweetheart, I was just kidding." I stop walking, "Well, mostly."