Demigod major: Why me?

Sunlight began to show around the black-out curtain in my room. The light, now bothering me, had woken me up. My black bangs hung in my face, and my tired eyes from drowsiness of sleep looked for my alarm clock. 7:45.  

Oh, crap, I'm late! I opened my window and jumped out of bed, through on my Green Day concert shirt and black skinny jeans, and my tennis shoes. I ran out the door yelling, "Bye Mom!" as I left.  

As I walked to school that morning, I had no idea my life would change forever. My name, is Dakota Truman. Or, at least that's my mom's maiden name. I never met my dad. But, I was going to find him one day. And I was sure that day was approaching. All too soon.  

I found my red-headed best friend, Rodney, outside a convince store chewing on a cinnamon bun. He did love them. "Hey, T-man! What's up?" said Rodney as he slightly limped towards me. He always had a limp, but he could run faster than anyone ever knew. "Nothing much," I replied, laughing slightly. " finished that game last night. Stayed up too late."  

"I see. So, you ready?"  

"Yep."  

We walked to school, not a care in the world.  

Sure, Atlanta's a big place, and there a robbers and gangs, but Rodney had a green belt in karate, and I had swordsmanship training, so I think we were ok. But nothing could prepare us for what was about to happen.  

A giant dog, it was had black fur, and menacing eyes. He came charging down the street. I stood, shocked in fear. But no one but me and Rodney noticed. How could they not?! It was crashing into people like a tanker truck! Rodney pulled me into an alleyway, running for our lives. "WHAT IS THAT THING!?!?!" I shouted, running behind Rodney. "I'll explain later, just RUN!" he yelled over the thing crashing behind us. We ducked down another alley, when Rodney yelled, "HALEY! NOW!"  

All of a sudden the beast froze, and disintegrated into black dust. And none other that was standing behind it, was Haley Carter,one of my close friends holding a bronze sword with a leather handle. Her brunette hair flowing as she ran towards us, relief in her blue eyes. "Oh thank the gods you guys are still alive!" she yelled.  

I slid down wall, collapsing on my knees. "W-what w-was that t-thing?!" I said, shaking, my voice barely above a whisper. Rodney got down on his knees, and put his hand on my back. "That, was a hellhound."  

I remembered that stuff from all the Greek mythology I read. I was even planning on that being my major in college. "I think it's time we go, Rodney, Dakota." I looked up as she said my name, but then I blacked-out.