Chapter Thirty Three

"Let's go out," Miranda suggesting, beaming at me too late in my shift. "I want to thank you properly for helping me. I couldn't have done it without your help."

They'd been dating once again now. She didn't love him. I knew she didn't.

"No, thank you," I rejected, feeling absolutely awful nowadays. Jason only comes over late in the night, sleeps, and then leaves early the next morning so he didn't have to speak to me or see me. I'm sure he was doing it because I got so upset with him but it didn't make me feel any better about the situation.

"Oh, come on," she begged. "Please?"

Nowadays, when I saw either one of them I was on the brink of tears. I glanced past her, seeing Erica stand a few feet in front of the elevator, looking at me worriedly. I shook my head slowly to her, watching as she hesitantly entered the elevator and disappeared from sight. I looked back at Miranda, flashing her a weak smile. "Okay, fine. I can't stay out too late."

She smiled brightly. "I'll drive."

. . .

"It's been going so good. I think we really needed that break," she commented, glowing with pure happiness meanwhile a cloud of misery hung over my head as I drowned myself in beer. "We've grown closer, we're not so involved physically but now we're trying to get to know each other. I love him."

She didn't but I nodded along, smiling every now and then. "I feel like he's the one, he's so great," she said longingly. I wanted to vomit or cry, one of the two. I rolled my eyes a few times, hardly speaking a word since we had gotten to the bar. "I'm thinking of taking him to this new Italian restaurant, they're famous for their Alfredo."

"He doesn't like Alfredo," I told her, staring down at the golden beer swirling in my cup. "He's picky about his spaghetti as well, I would avoid Italian restaurants."

"Really?" she was shocked which wasn't surprising, she didn't know anything about him. "Maybe a fish place."

"He doesn't like fish," I chimed in again, sighing heavily. "He likes sushi, but not fish." That was one of the few qualities we had in common. "He likes steak, sub-sandwiches, chicken, wings; all that other stuff. The things he doesn't like are Alfredo, fish, meatloaf, and he absolutely despises barbecue."

She blinked a few times, her eyes widening. "I just took him to a barbecue place last week," she said, placing a hand over her mouth. "No wonder he hardly ate anything."

I felt bad for her. She knew nothing about him yet she was trying so hard. I was so confused as to why she was trying so hard. It was so hard watching this and it was even harder that she was asking me for help. 

"If you haven't taken him for steak, I'd recommend Romero's," I told her. "It's his favorite place." I had learned that was his favorite place when we went there, for business, and I had gone back a few times by myself. It was owned by his uncle and he loved his uncle. Although, he never talked about him.  

She nodded along, flashing me a smile. "Thanks!" 

If someone told me a few months back that this girl in front of me was my bully, I wouldn't believe them. She acted nothing like she did before. When she approached me and asked for my help, it was a rough start, but now, now she acts so cheery and happy it's almost frightening. I nodded to her, ordering another beer. I wanted to forget everything about this night.

"Don't you think we're just so cute together?" she exasperated, a far-off look in her eyes. "I can't believe it, he's quite the catch, don't you think? He's so charming, and definitely so handsome."