Ch. 25

The next week had gone by rather stressfully for both of the girls as they waited to hear back from Harry and Ron. The only times that Hermione wasn't anxious about his response was during class and when she was patrolling with Draco.

Draco had stayed true to being respectful of the fact that Hermione wasn't technically available yet, though he would use any opportunity he could to move her hair out of her face or give her hand a small squeeze of reassurance. They were practically walking attached at the hip when they would do their rounds, and their goodbyes had lengthened as he would escort her back to Gryffindor tower before returning to the Slytherin dungeons.

Ginny and Blaise had also grown noticeably closer during their rounds and would spend a little extra time chatting quietly in the Astronomy Tower, leaning against the wall with their fingers gently brushing against each other's. They shared childhood stories and would try to stifle their laughter to avoid being caught by teachers, and when they knew they had to go back to their dorms, Blaise would always find a way to make the conversation last just five minutes longer.

The school was buzzing with the upcoming match, Gryffindor versus Slytherin. The girls and the four Slytherins would take to teasing each other during their shared classes and in the hallways, and it only continued during their rounds.

"You must be pretty conflicted on who you're going to be cheering for in the stands," Draco said, smirking at her.

Hermione rolled her eyes but laughed and said, "I'll obviously be supporting Ginny! Gryffindor is going to win as long as they have her and Dean!"

"So no support for me?" He asked, pouting slightly.

"I support you as a player, but I'm not cheering for Slytherin," Hermione laughed.

"Pansy's going to be very disappointed," Draco sighed. "And alone."

Hermione gave him a confused look. "She doesn't have anyone to sit with for the game?"

"Nope, the other three of us are playing and some of the other Slytherins have been shunning us," Draco said sadly.

"Why?" Hermione asked in shock.

"Because we've becomes friends with you and Ginny," Draco shrugged. "It doesn't bother me at all, though; it's just a stupid house rivalry."

"Well, she can come sit with me," Hermione said with a smile. "Half the time, Luna is sitting with us anyway so we're used to having other students with us."

"She would love that," He said, smiling at her. His smile turned to a grin then as he asked, "So no green at all for you?"

"I don't think I own a single green item," She laughed. "And even if I do wear green, do you have any idea how much the other Gryffindors will accuse me of not supporting Ginny?"

"They can't be serious about that," Draco said. "You're her best friend, they should know you'll support her."

She shrugged with a smirk. "That's why I'm playing it safe and not wearing green!"

He laughed at that, pulling her in for a side hug which she happily returned. They walked like that for a few moments before Draco sighed and asked, "So, heard anything from Weasley?"

Hermione shook her head. "Nothing yet. Which, granted, isn't much of a surprise."

Draco frowned and reluctantly pulled away from her, rubbing the back of his neck. "Do you think he's going to take it well?"

"Probably not." She looked down at the floor as she put her hands in the front pocket of her sweater. "But he's going to have to learn to live with it."