i can't let go

Clutching onto his convenient store bag, Harry threw his overnight bag into Mrs. Malik's minivan, followed by his Mum's suitcase and finally Mrs. Malik's.

Just as he was about to close the trunk, Zayn slid in beside him, peppy as ever.

"Whoa there Harry," he spoke, his voice giddy and his smile stretched from cheek to cheek. "You forgot about me?"

Harry shook his head and forced a weak smile. "No, I did not," he said sharply.

Zayn noticed his tone and grabbed Harry's wrist while he closed the trunk. "Hey! What's up with you lad? You not excited to go down to the lake with your best friend," Zayn puckered up his tone as he inched his face closer to Harry.

Harry scoffed and pushed him off, wiggling his hand out of his grip. "I am very excited," he said, monotone.

"Something is so wrong with you," Zayn opened the side door and slid the middle seats forward so he and Harry could sit in the back. 

"Where's Mrs. and Mr. Malik, huh?" Harry asked, sliding in beside Zayn and putting his bag of snacks in the middle seat.

Zayn shrugged. "Inside I guess," he said, as he began digging through Harry's snack bag and pulled out three snack-packs of Cheez-its. 

"No, no, no!" Harry leaned over and tried to grab them from Zayn who had them behind his back now.

"No what?" Zayn smirked. "These are mine now,"

"No, they're not!" Harry tried to reach behind Zayn's back, but he quickly pulled them out and held them as far away from Harry as he possibly could. 

Zayn continued teasing Harry until Yaser showed up, almost as if he was towering over the car.

"Are you ten?" Yaser spoke, eyeing Zayn who shook his head.

"No sir," Zayn smirked, handing Harry his Cheez-it packages back.

"I am so sorry for my son here Harry," Yaser spoke, sliding the middle seat back into place and stepping into the car. "I keep telling Anne we should trade sons,"

"You and Mum should definitely trade sons," Harry said, smiling at Yaser then eyeing Zayn icily. 

With an eye-roll, Zayn kicked Harry's foot below Yaser's seat. Harry kicked him back.

Zayn didn't react.

Yaser got comfortable in his seat, keeping the side door open for fresh air until Mrs. Malik and Anne showed up.

"You two ready for the cottage?" Yaser asked the boys as he leaned forward into the front seat to start the car and plug his phone into the AUX.

"Definitely," Harry spoke, kicking Zayn again to get his attention.

Zayn sat, with a smile on his lips, looking out the window. Harry went in for another kick and before he even reached Zayn, he could feel Zayn lock his foot around Harry's ankle.

"Try me again," he whispered, squeezing Harry's thigh quickly and snatching a Cheez-it package, opening it and shoving three in his mouth just before Harry could stop him.

Yaser was still leaned into the front seat, fiddling with the Bluetooth options and air conditioning buttons. 

Squirming forward, Harry reached for the package. Zayn pushed his foot harder on Harry's as he ate more, kicking the balance out of Harry's legs causing him to propel his face forward and into Zayn's lap.

Zayn stopped chewing and looked down at Harry who immediately shot up and fixed his hair. 

Harry's cheeks turned red almost instantly. He turned away so quickly, that he didn't notice that Zayn's had too.