commander kang

"I still can't believe they want to parley." Yunho whispers to you in shock, standing next to you on the main deck as you watch the little rowboat grow closer and closer to you, bobbing on the surface of the deep blue sea. There's a growing sense of trepidation in you as you watch it draw nearer, Mingi ordering a group of men to lower ropes into the water to pull the rowboat up.

From the bulwarks, you can see six people on the rowboat, a sign of neutrality and peace, Yunho had told you. Worried by how Yeosang might react to seeing his father, Hongjoong had sent the navigator to the galley and told him to stay there until someone called him up. Wooyoung had... well, gone with him. Your captain didn't tell you why, but curious as you were, you had sort of resigned yourself to the fact that you would never know.

"You have to eat Wooyoung's shoe now, you know?" You mumble out of the corner of your mouth, trying to distract yourself from the terror you feel. Yunho swallows nervously, eyes fixed on the rowboat as it stops next to the Treasure.

"Don't tell him I said that."

"...You also have to eat your own shoe."

"I don't recall any of that."

"And you have to admit the mizzenmast is better." You end off, fingers wrapping around his wrist. You're shaking from nerves, but you don't have to say it, Yunho can feel it in the way your hand is as clammy a dead fish around his.

You know Seonghwa is somewhere in the rigging with a loaded musket, ready to blow a hole in the head of any troublemaker, that the crew of the Treasure outnumber the people on the boat by several times, but part of you is still worried, a sinking feeling in your chest that borders on sheer paranoia.

"We should just kill them as soon as they step onto the ship." Mingi mutters as he strides over to all of you, Hongjoong's expression carefully smoothed into a neutral mask in preparation to meet the man in charge. From what Yunho has told you, the enemy captain is likely to be Commander Kang Yongsun, a prominent captain of the Royal Navy's pirate hunter force, someone who specialises in hunting down pirates in exchange for monetary rewards offered by the Crown.

He's also Yeosang's biological father.

Your captain sighs, gripping his cutlass tight. "They did put up a parley flag, though."

Snorting, the quartermaster jabs a thumb at the Black Crow floating just far off enough to not be considered a threat, its jet black shape looming against the bright blue sky like a blot of ink on paper. "Has the Royal Navy ever not want to kill us?"

"That was what I thought." Yunho mumbles uneasily, his spear in hand as he fidgets with the shaft. Your own hand rests on the hilt of your cutlass, adrenaline already buzzing in your veins as you anticipate the fight that might probably come.

"They're likely to be plotting something. And whatever it is, it's not going to turn out well for us. It could be a trap. We should just blow them out of the water now. I'm sure Wooyoung could do it easily." Mingi continues to reason insistently with his captain, probably feeling the same sinking sense of foreboding as you are. But your captain doesn't respond to his quartermaster's warnings, instead simply gazing at the rowboat silently with his single green eye.

When he speaks, his voice is solemn.

"I'm aware it could be a trap, Mingi. I'm not a fool. But I doubt the Commander would be foolish enough to come to us without an irrefusable bargain." Hongjoong says as he looks straight ahead, not looking at any of you. "Besides, they did put up a parley flag, and I'm not going to be the one to break the vow."

"We did it all the time in the past though." Mingi reminds his captain softly, his voice reminiscing of those days of long ago that they had been a merciless pirate crew, from the stories he had told you about the last time. Your eyes widen. They had ignored the white flag? Preyed on ships that had been on the verge of surrender? Destroyed vessels that had put up the universal symbol of parley, massacring entire crews without mercy?