Chapter 22

The wolf came to a stop a short distance from me and sat back on her hind legs. It was strange to see a wolf travel alone as I knew they preferred to be in packs. I wanted to look at the tree line to see if there were in fact more wolves headed my way, but I couldn't take my eyes off of the sight in front of me.

I was so captivated by her beauty, she was so unearthly looking. I couldn't tell if it was because of her white as snow fur, or if it was her purple swirling eyes that kept me locked on her, but I didn't want to look away.

I stood there admiring her as she sat and stared back at me with a look of knowledge glowing in her eyes. There was something so familiar about her, but I knew that if I had seen her before I wouldn't of forgotten.

I toyed with the idea of moving closer to her. I wanted to gain her trust, for some reason that had instantly become really important to me as soon as I'd laid eyes on her, which should of confused me, but it didn't. It seemed right.

As if reading my mind the wolf stood up on all fours, and a sense of dread filled me, I was certain she was about to dart back from where she had come from. I didn't want her to leave me alone, since waking up in this place her presence alone had given me a purpose and filled me with a feeling of certainty I'd never felt before.

I had to earn her trust.

I dropped down to my knees slowly, trying not to startle her. I placed my hands out in front of me trying to show her that everything was ok, that I was not a threat.

After a couple of minutes of me being knelt on the ground with my eyes locked with hers she finally relented, and slowly made her way towards me. I held my breath as she made her way over.

The snow coloured wolf finally reached my out stretched arms and nudged my palm with her wet nose. I took that as a good sign and cautiously reached my hand up between her ears which were stood up straight on top of her head.

My hand went back and forth slowly on top of her head and I relaxed as I heard her make an appreciative grunt, and her violet eyes fell closed. This filled me with a sense of joy, I was happy that she was happy. I could easily sit here and stroke her forever if she'd let me, It's not like I had anywhere else to be.

"That would be incorrect Emma" the words sounded as clear as day inside my head, shocking me so much I instantly pulled my hand back from the wolf's head.

I was sure my sudden movement would of sent her dashing backwards and away from me, but to my surprise she remained where she was. She was back to looking at me with her swirling eyes full of wisdom.

"Sorry to have startled you Emma, I should of said something sooner. But I had to be sure" the voice said again.

I was positive I was going crazy. Could you go crazy in heaven? Was this heaven? I wasn't sure of anything anymore. But hey if the wolf wanted to speak to me I wasn't going to be rude.

"So" I started "Do you want to explain to me what's going on here. Am I dead? Is this Heaven?" I asked. Ready to finally get some answer, even if they were for a talking wolf.

She exhaled a short blast of air out of her nose making a "huff" sound, and I could tell she was mocking me from the glint her eyes had taken on. I was sure that if she were a human an eye roll would of accompanied it.

"No Emma, this isn't Heaven, and you are not dead" she explained. The slow tone of her voice echoing inside my head made it sound like she was explaining technology to someone who was 80 years old, and hard of hearing.

"Then where are we, if I'm not dead then I want to go back home right now" I said now standing up dusting the dirt from my knees.

If I wasn't dead then where was Roman? Was he here as well? My head was spinning, I needed to get back to him, that was all that mattered to me now.

"You're in The Between Emma, this is where new transitions come to meet their other half" the wolf was still speaking inside my head, which was jumbling with my own thoughts and was giving me a bit of a headache.

"Ok I'm going to need you to explain a couple of things to me. First off what exactly do you mean by transition" I was getting impatient and it clearly showed, because the wolf finally started giving me some real answers.

"You're in transition Emma, a transition from human to shifter a wolf shifter to be exact."

I could hear her words, I knew what they meant, but my brain wouldn't process the reality of what she was saying. Romans face flashed in my mind, him apologising, me dying and him sinking his teeth into my shoulder.

Once everything had clicked in to place my body began to shake and my eyes started to sting.

"Now you're getting it. In an effort to save your life our mate turned you. Without him we would be no more" she explained.

I took a while to process the information which thankfully the wolf let me do in silence. We were sat there together in the most beautiful place I'd ever seen, the crystal clear water still falling behind us.

I was physically in paradise but mentally I was in hell.

"You can't be upset with him Emma. He saved us, he had to. He was going to lose you and his wolf took over. If we would of died, he wouldn't of been far behind. Mates can't exist without each other once they've been found. Roman would of slowly of gone mad from the pain" her voice had now taken on a more pleading tone which was mirrored in her eyes.

I didn't realise I was crying until tears started dripping down my face. The wolf lowered her head and started pushing at my hands with her muzzle. I guess it was like her version of a hug, and I was grateful for it, I couldn't imagine being alone right now.

After I had finished crying and processing what I had been told I only had one more question left.

"What did you mean when you say Roman would of lost us" I asked.

If I was being truthful I already knew the answer, I was just looking for confirmation.

"Emma, I am your wolf there is no me and you anymore, there is now only an us"

The answer I had secretly been hoping for since she told me about me transitioning rang out inside my head and I couldn't help but smile, despite everything else I was currently feeling I was happy.

A sense of pride filled me as I looked at her, I was so proud that she was my wolf. Even though I knew I had a long road ahead of me, with a million more questions about things I could even begin to understand yet, there was no one else in the world I'd want as my partner more than her.

My wolf took a step back and bowed her head low as a warm bright light enveloped her entire body, I had to physically stop myself from covering my eyes as her glow got brighter and brighter.

When the light finally dimmed all that was left was a pale purple orb floating in the air in front of me.

The orb starting floating towards me, and I felt a shiver run up my spine but I stood tall ready for whatever was coming. The orb hovered in front of me for a couple of seconds before it plunged straight into the centre of my chest.

The sensation was like nothing I'd ever felt before. I felt warm, I felt happy, I felt safe and I finally felt whole.

❆ ❆ ❆ ❆ ❆ ❆ ❆

I don't know about you but I'm kind of loving the wolf!

So who knew Emma would become a shifter?

I was so excited to write this chapter, I just hope I did it justice.

As always constructive criticism always welcome, just comment or send me a message.

Please don't forget to vote if you enjoyed this chapter, just hit the star at the bottom it makes me very happy !

Thanks for reading.

-S.Snow