Going Home

The next few days passed in a fog. Sol hardly cried, not since that first time. She pretended to pay attention when the nurse came in to give her lessons on how to function without her sight. She was nice, the nurse, but Sol didn't really care.

What was the point of learning how to take care of herself? She would never be self-sufficient, not really. She would have to rely on other people to do everything for her for the rest of her miserable existence.

Dr. Hendrickson said she could go home tomorrow, which was sort of good news. At least Sol would be out of this lumpy hospital bed and back in her own room. And she wouldn't have to listen to all the doctors and nurses telling her every five seconds that she was young and would adjust.

Sol would never get used to it. Never. Her life was over. Nothing anyone could say or do was going to change that. Mom and Dad were trying their best, but it was all Solveigh could do to keep from screaming when they were around.

They were even worse than the hospital people. They kept going on and on about how they'd moved her stuff into the spare room downstairs and all the other stuff they were doing at the house. They acted like it was supposed to make her feel better, but it only made Sol feel worse. It only served to remind her that she was helpless invalid.

Dr. Hendrickson had also given Mom a number for this therapist guy, who specialized in 'young people with visual impairments'. Apparently, he gave lessons that helped kids learn how to adjust to their blindness. Sol could see it now. On and on and on about you could still live a 'full and normal life' even though you couldn't see. Mom seemed ecstatic about the idea, but there was no way Sol was going, and she didn't care what Mom said.

The morning she was supposed to go home Sol woke up really early. Or at least it felt really early, she couldn't see the clock. She lay there, fiddling with the IV they used monitor her heart rate and stuff. Faintly, she could hear the activity in the hallway.

Sol entertained herself trying to figure what was happening based on the sound. Sol was just considering shouting to get someone's attention when the door opened. "Morning sweetie," Mom came over and gave her a hug.

"Hi," was all Sol could manage.

Mom didn't notice her apathy. "We have surprise for you!" she gushed happily.

"Oh?" Sol asked, a little curious in spite of herself, "What is it?"

Mom gave a little laugh. "You'll have to wait and see. Right now the doctor is going to take off all those wires and do one last checkup." The flicker of excitement faded and Sol nodded.

Dr. Hendrickson finished up pretty quickly and gave Sol the all clear to go home. He admonished her to take it easy, like she had a choice, because her concussion was still healing. It was kind of embarrassing to be wheeled through the hospital in a wheelchair. Though Sol supposed it would have been even more humiliating to stumble her way through on foot.

As they passed through the doors, Mom asked, "Are you ready for that surprise now?" Sol nodded and the nurse stopped the chair. Dad opened the door to their van and half lifted Sol into the seat.

Once she was settled, Sol asked, "So, where's this surprise?"

Out of nowhere a voice sounded off to her left. "Hey, Sunny."

Sol's mouth dropped open and she squealed, "Jacen?!?"