Chapter 23

"Your grace! Your mother was asking for you," Winterbottom stopped Nate when he was going to his room.

"Is everything alright?"

"Yes."

Nate nodded at his butler and headed to his mother's chambers.

"Good evening, mother. You asked for me?" he knocked and entered.

"Yes," she replied and patted the bed, signalling him to come sit. "You left in a hurry this morning."

"About that...mother I have broken off my betrothal with Sophia," he said on a sigh.

"That is wonderful, son!" she surprised him by saying.

"You're not upset? It will cause some talk, after all even though she'll be the one to publicly call it off..."

"Upset? I'm ecstatic, Nathaniel. I knew from day one that she was entirely wrong for you. As for the 'talk', I don't give a squat," she chortled.

Nate was amazed. He'd certainly not expected this reaction.

"This might be the smartest thing you've done in years," she was saying.

Nate was silent.

"I take it you've spoken to Fiona," she prompted.

"I apologised," he said with a nod.

"And?"

"She forgave me."

"Oh." She actually sounded surprised.

"I proposed to her...told her I loved her."

"You're marrying her?" she grinned.

"No, she said she doesn't love me," he replied, dazed. Was his mother actually happy that he wanted to marry her companion?

"Of course she loves you. She's lying," she said confidently.

Nate shook his head a little.

"You're not angry?"

"Angry that you've finally decided to listen to your heart? That you're finally reaching for the happiness that I've always wanted for you?" she admonished.

"I love you, mother," he said.

"I love you too, son," she kissed his cheek. "Now about that rubbish Fiona said...she does love you. Nathaniel."

"If she does, then why would she reject my proposal?"

"Because she still hasn't forgiven you," she smiled slightly. "And rightly so. You behaved like an utter dolt."

When Nate didn't look like he believed her, she sighed.

"I don't want to annoy her. If she'd loved me, I wouldn't have thought twice before grovelling before her until she agreed to be mine. But she doesn't, mother."

Linda wanted to tell her son that he couldn't have been more wrong. She knew Nathaniel and she knew Fiona. One week after her arrival, she'd noticed that something was going on between her son and her companion. She hadn't done anything and had let fate lead the way.

But something told her that it was time she interfered.

"You go on and rest, Nathaniel. I'm sure you've had a long day."

"I have some estate business to take care of," he shook his head. "I can't wait for this house party to get over," he sighed.

"It will be tomorrow night," his mother replied.