2.1

twenty-one | get the fuck out

ETHAN
FLASHBACK | TWO YEARS AGO

Ethan's grasping at the roots of his hair in frustration. He doesn't know how serious Ryan is and if he should even take a risk. On one hand he wants to visit Emma. He wouldn't even tell her what happened in case somehow he found out, but even just visiting her would he going against Ryan's threat.

How was he just supposed to end his friendship with Emma like that? If he takes the chance in ratting him out to the police and he finds out it was him, he could easily put Emma's life in danger and his own. Neither of which he likes thinking about.

If he's going to have stop talking to Emma for a while, or at least until it's safe, he was going to see her one last time.

[X]

As his car reverses from the driveway, he begins taking his normal route down to Emma's which was only a five minute drive.

He's eerily calm, he decided against playing music which left him alone to his thoughts and over analyzing the details of his car. His hand pressed loosely along the leather steering wheel as his arm leaned against the center console. The sun peaked out from the top of the windshield, but not enough to blind his view. He took notice to how he adjusted his foot from the accelerator to the brake, easing down slowly on each pedal when necessary.

Whatever he could use to distract himself, he did. He was just pulling into Emma's apartment complex when his phone began ringing. It connected to his car's bluetooth and displayed Ryan's name across the screen. His breathing stopped short when he hesitantly pressed answer.

"I suggest you turn back around now and drive back home. We don't want little Emma to lose her life today, now do we?" Ryan directed.

It was then that he noticed Ryan parked outside her building, staring at him through his car and watching his every move.

"Don't hurt her." Ethan seethed.

"Do as I say and we won't have a problem." He replied, ending the call.

Ethan huffed angrily, but nonetheless followed his commands. He didn't want to put up a fight and agitate him more, he does own a gun and Ethan doesn't doubt he brought it.

Once out of view from the complex, he let his anger consume the car. He screamed, and he screamed until his lungs hurt and his voice was strained. Ethan didn't know how to get out of this dilemma.

[X]

It had been two weeks since the incident occurred with Ryan. Throughout that time he had received multiple texts from Emma, none of which he replied to. It pained him to do that to her. However, he wasn't sure how far Ryan was going to take this. If he was willing to stalk Emma's location to make sure he never showed up, who's to say he wouldn't hack his iCloud and monitor his texts. The paranoia grew within him every day.

Ethan knew he couldn't torture Emma any longer. He was hurting to see the desperation evident in her messages and the number of missed calls from her. He had to end their friendship for the time being. It was going to be hard. He wasn't sure how long Ryan was going to carry this act. He hoped he would be caught soon and all of this would end.

He decided to take another chance, deeming two weeks long enough time to wait to try again. Plus, was he really going to go to insane measures by watching him for two weeks straight?

This time when he arrived at Emma's, he was thankful to not see his car waiting for him or to hear an incoming call come through. That didn't make this situation much easier, though.

Ethan walked slowly up the stairs to her second floor apartment. Guilt devoured him as he thought about what he was going to say and the way she would react. He hoped this wouldn't end up being permanent.

[X]

"I'm sorry, Emma." He says, anticipating the worst for the words that followed. "We can't be friends anymore. At least, not right now."

Emma stared at him, not processing the words right away. He ignores her for two weeks and then proceeds to end their friendship. What the fuck was this about?

"What is that supposed to mean?" She asks, rendered speechless.

Ethan didn't know what to say, "I just can't be friends with you."

"Why?" Emma questions.

"I can't tell you." He says.

"Oh, grow up, Ethan. We're not in fifth grade anymore. If I did something wrong, then tell me, don't leave me guessing."

"I can't—" He starts. "It's not you, I promise."

He reaches out to touch her arm sympathetically but she instantly shrugs him off. She can't believe the audacity he had to try to comfort her after he was the one who upset her.

"Don't." She states, her eyes locking on his.

"Emma, please." Ethan says, regretting everything that he was saying.

"Get the fuck out." She demands.

When he makes no action to move, instead remaining in one spot and frowning at her, she repeats her statement.

"Get-the-fuck-out." She says, in one breath, jumbling the words into one.

Ethan can feel a tear roll down his cheek but he immediately wipes it away before she notices. He tries to step closer, to give her one last hug before it was uncertain when he would see her next, but she wasn't having it.

She extends her arms forward to press against his chest, shoving him backwards and out of her doorway. She slams the door, only giving Ethan a second to see her face before it's blocked from view.

The slam echoes in his head as he stands motionless on her porch. He could tell she was trying to hold it all in and hide her emotions, but he knew he had just hurt her. It would have been worse if he hadn't said anything at all, he thinks. Ethan tries to see the positive in it, but his head was too clouded to try.