Apartment 239

March 27, 2019

Today we interview the author (elfordally) of "Psychopath"WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

WARNING MAY CONTAIN SPOILERS!

The Interview

MG: How did you come up with the book?

elfordally: It started as a script for a TV show that no one wanted. At this point it was very different, the core characters (Abe, Kaitlin, Diane, and Michael) were the same, but Rick was much less threatening and it had a very sitcom vibe. I rewrote it as a novel in 2010. It was awful. I did a complete overhaul in 2013, it was less terrible. Then in 2016, another complete rewrite that I thought was pretty damn good, and here we are! This one has been with me awhile. The story itself is rooted in a very odd town I lived in for a few years, a lovely place steeped in meth and weirdness, which I guess could be anywhere in the Bible Belt, right?

MG: What was the most difficult thing for you to write in the book?

elfordally: A happy ending. The ending to this stayed the same through multiple drafts: dark and sad. It was only in the latest draft that I felt it was the wrong direction, and against all my instincts I added a little hope to the end.

MG: Was there any certain inspiration for the book?

elfordally: I wanted to write a ghost story that felt like it belonged in our world. I feel like so many modern ghost stories need to be feel like they were pulled from a bygone era, cutting people off from technology and the modern world.

MG: What was your favorite thing about the book?

elfordally: You know what? I feel like I balanced comedy and horror really well. It's a hard balance to strike. For example, the sequel will definitely lean way more into horror, but this one rides that line really well.

MG: Do you go back and edit often before publishing anything?

elfordally: Yes. All first drafts are terrible and deserve to be destroyed one word at a time.

MG: Were you surprised to see the reads it has gotten?

elfordally: Absolutely! I hoped it would find an audience, but I am still shocked at how many people have checked it out.

MG: Was there any feedback that really stuck out to you?

elfordally: "Do you really need all these characters?" A fellow writer asked that after reading an earlier draft and he was right. If you have a cast of thousands there better be a damn good reason. It made the following drafts much stronger.

MG: Where is the best place you get your ideas from?

elfordally: The world is on fire. We're surrounded by horror inspiration!

MG: Anything you would like to say to your readers?

elfordally: Thank you all so much! I can't express just how happy I am that you've enjoyed my book.

End of Interview

Thank you to elfordally for the lovely interview. We enjoyed the interview as much as we loved the book.