vingt.

The park is empty now, save for the two of us, besides an owl or two perching in the canopies of the trees. Crickets chirp, and silvery water laps the borders of the pond gently, sprinkling cool droplets of dew against our ankles when we dare to walk close enough to the edge. The air is still bitingly cold, but there is no breeze, so there's really no need for weighty coats to keep us warm; our body temperatures, at close proximity, are pleasant enough.

We stroll side by side, not touching, our hands clasped awkwardly in front of our stomachs. Patrick stares at the ground, kicking up rocks and dust as he drags the soles of his feet along the concrete. He sighs sadly and heavily, every breath a gruelling, tiresome task, and I can't help thinking that I've made a mistake in bringing him out tonight.

"So," I state to break the silence. "I assume the phone call went well?"

"Yep," Patrick mutters. "She's coming this weekend."

"That soon?"

"Uh-huh."

It's not me, then. Splendid. I knew I shouldn't have let him answer that fucking call. Uptight, I extend my arm out to the side, striking his chest with the side of my hand, and spin 180 degrees to confront him eye to eye. "What's the matter? An hour ago you were ecstatic."

"I had a think," he says regretfully. "And now I don't feel so ecstatic anymore. I feel nervous. Not because I'm scared you might get jealous or anything - she never did a bad thing to me; could never have - but as a kid, I sometimes felt uncomfortable with her around. She was always tipsy, and she sat too close to me, and I didn't like it, but I was too scared to tell her she was invading my personal space. I enjoyed her company, but I used to get anxiety attacks from her being so cuddly all the time. I don't want to have one of those again, if she gets clingy. And she will. Gay best friends are clingy. Even married ones." The more he speaks, the faster the words propel from his mouth, and he's starting to lose his breath. "God, they're not even married yet, and they're getting a kid, and-"

"Hey, slow down," I interfere. I set my hands on his shoulders and shake them gently, and when he looks up at me his eyes are wide and diluted. "Meeting someone again after not seeing them for five years, it's gonna be overwhelming. That's a lot of time to catch up on." He nods slowly, understanding. He's looking rather lightheaded. I take his hands loosely in mine and lead him to a nearby bench, sitting beside him and hugging him close. "You don't have to see her, if you don't want to. Just tell her you're not ready yet. She'll understand."

He stares blankly out across the water, nodding his head more surely this time, but I'm getting the impression he's still not fully present. "I know," he mumbles. "I'm going to stick with the original plan, though. If we don't meet now, we never will."

"That's my Omega," I praise, squeezing his shoulders adoringly.

He relaxes into me, briefly, but then looks up at me in alarm. "But what if it's awkward?"

"Come on," I tease. "I saw that smile when you were talking earlier. You two will be a house on fire."

Eventually, he braves a small smile. The glow from the surrounding street lamps accentuates the soft curves of his face, lightening his irises so they sparkle like deep blue sapphires. His breath is a white mist, and I inhale it like musty smoke from a cigarette. With haste, he brings his knees up onto the bench and slides his arms around my neck, and he's kissing me. I close my eyes, and my hands find his cheeks, and when we separate he knits our foreheads together and breathes deeply. "Thank you for tonight," he whispers delightedly. "I'm sorry I wasn't more invested."

I draw my thumb greedily across his lower lip. "Then how about you make it up to me now?"

I pull him into my lap, his knees descending comfortably around my waist, and he hitches his back straight in order to push his body closer to mine. He cups my chin and presses his mouth to mine one more time, hotly and self-possessed, mumbling between moist breaths. "Take me, Alpha..."

We make love under the stars.